Life > Experiences

The Reality of Coming Home From Study Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

what nobody talks about

Everyone hears about how studying abroad is a “life-changing experience” and how much a person can positively change after going abroad. However, what is often overlooked is what coming home to your “normal life” feels like. There’s no doubt that everyone has a different experience abroad, whether that is positive or negative. But, living in a new country results in new experiences, outlooks, and stories. Stories that you’re more than excited to tell everyone about. 

Once you get home and finally have the time to breathe, you are quickly hit with the reality that everyone else was living their life without you and unfortunately, no one is as excited as you to hear about your experience. Of course, there are some exceptions, but in my personal experience, this excitement being extinguished is a draining process. Family and friends will want to hear about your experience but unfortunately, they weren’t not there so they won’t relate to your stories as much as you would expect. An article by USAC included a wonderful quote from Joel Freeman, a study abroad alum who states, “The problem was that I had grown and matured so drastically during the time that I was abroad that I was beyond shocked to see that people who didn’t go abroad seemed to stay the same. It was that same happiness caused by normality I experienced the first day I was back that made me agitated, confused, and frankly, pissed off just a few weeks later.”  While you are abroad, you handle challenges and are thrown into a completely new environment which results in personal growth, self-exploration, and independence. It can be hard to conceptualize that while you’ve changed and grown, you’re returning back to a place that may seem ‘frozen in time.’ 

Reverse culture shock and post-study abroad depression are real things that many people deal with. It can be a lonely and saddening experience, especially when there may not be people who you can connect with. Learning about techniques and ways to deal with your emotions can help with understanding and normalizing your feelings. Almost everyone I’ve talked to post-study abroad has shared the same sentiment as me and expressed their personal struggles with returning home. It’s important to remember that you are not alone and your feelings are justified, even if no one else seems to understand.

Studying abroad can feel like the happiest time of your life and coming home may feel like you are being stripped or robbed of that happiness. In my experience, taking it slow is important. Finding the small things that you missed about your home country and using them as an incentive to stay positive may inspire new interests or passions. Using this new study-abroad knowledge to make new connections or foster new perspectives can be empowering. At the end of the day, studying abroad is not the end of your happiness, exploration, and growth. Stay hopeful for the future and appreciate every new experience. Every day is a new adventure. 

Camila Rivero

Wisconsin '24

Hi! My name is Camila Rivero and I was born in raised in Boulder, Colorado. I am now attending the University of Wisconsin-Madison hoping to pursue my degree in strategic communications with a minor in digital studies.