The Perfect Study Spots from a Girl Who Constantly Needs to Change Locations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

With the stress that comes with college work, finding the perfect study spots is necessary

With midterm stress at an all-time high, finding the perfect study spot(s) is of utmost importance. I find myself needing to change locations frequently as the day goes on. I use the strolls from place to place as a chance to take a small break and relax my brain before jumping back into work. I mentally organize my preferred study settings, choosing one based on what type of work I need to complete and the locations of my classes. With my class schedule, I’m usually in the Southeast part of campus, so the majority of my study spots are there as well. For me, different environments get me in the mindset to do different kinds of work. Below, I’ve outlined a few of my favorite study spots.

1. Peet’s Coffee in Memorial Union

Most of my days this semester end with a jaunt down Bascom Hill or the stairs behind the Education Building. This stroll takes me to my first study stop, typically at Peet’s Coffee in Memorial Union. I hop in line, order my current fave—a vanilla iced latte with almond milk—swipe my Wiscard and happily make my way to the best spot in the Union: the big, comfy, gray chairs in the corner of Peet’s Coffee, specifically the one next to the window.

There are many reasons why these chairs are the best study spot in the Union. This is normally one of my first stops after class, which means I’m coming from the ancient, wooden chairs that fill many of the lecture halls. Seeing the huge, cushioned chairs that allow my feet to dangle without touching the floor is motivating enough to do even the most laborious assignments. After a long day of classes, with few outlets available, the table in the center of the semicircle of chairs is perfect, as it has multiple built-in outlets. You can’t forget about the side tables nicely placed between the chairs for you to set your drink. With so many people moving in and out of the Union, this study space is slightly louder than others. I avoid doing textbook and article readings at Peet’s, as I find it difficult to read critically when my study space is noisy. If noise doesn’t bother you, by all means, make yourself comfortable in these chairs and start reading! Personally, I prefer to work on writing assignments and use certain study tools, such as Quizlet, while I’m here.

2. Colectivo

Colectivo is another great coffee shop for studying. I usually find myself sauntering down State Street to reach Colectivo on weekends as opposed to weekdays. Often when I walk into this coffee shop, almost all of the seats are filled. Everyone has their computers flipped open as they sip on coffee, grab a bite to eat and chat with friends. I’ve noticed that Colectivo is a popular location for group projects and collaboration. Before searching for a spot, I order a cold brew oat-chata to drink while I work.

Depending on the environment you’re looking for, there are two spots here I’d recommend. For a quieter, more focused study spot, I’d choose to sit on the first floor along the windows. This is the perfect spot to work, especially when the sun comes shining in. Being able to look outside and people watch always gives me the inspiration I need for my creative work. Another one of my favorite spots is the second-floor bar top. This location feels like a secret hiding spot, even though it’s often packed with many other students working and chatting. You can see the high ceiling beams of the shop above and people ordering and enjoying their food and drinks below. The second floor is where I’ve noticed a lot of group work occurs, so the second floor of Colectivo must be a great place to collaborate. With many groups of people working together in a small space, it can be somewhat loud. Similar to Peet’s Coffee, I wouldn’t recommend heavy reading in this spot, but instead group work or work that can be done with headphones. Colectivo is also open later than most other coffee shops on campus, making it a good work space for weekends when you may be starting your day later than normal.

3. Wonderstate Coffee

Wonderstate Coffee is a minimalist’s aesthetic dream. Anyone who wants to study in a modern, minimalist, Instagram worthy environment should go to Wonderstate Coffee. Similar to Colectivo, I usually save Wonderstate for weekends or days when my classes end earlier, considering the walk is somewhat far. This walk allows for some nice exploration of Madison. As you stroll down State Street and past the Capitol, you can rest your brain from studying. The walk is especially nice when the sun is bright and warm and there is a slight breeze.   

Once you turn the corner of the Capitol building, you’re met with beautiful floor-to-ceiling windows. As you make your way inside Wonderstate, you’ll notice light wood tables and chairs, clean white walls and bumble bee wall art lighting up the back wall. After getting my coffee and another current fave—the chocolate oat muffin—I make my way over to another great work spot. 

My location preference differs depending on who I’m with and what type of work I need to get done. If I am alone, I prefer sitting at the bar top that lines the front windows of the shop. This location allows for peak creativity, as you can look out and see people exploring the Capitol and surrounding areas. If I’m with friends, we normally spread our work out over a larger table towards the center of the room. No matter where you sit, you’ll always have the sun showering you, as large windows line all of Wonderstate. I’ve found that this spot is good for any type of homework or studying. It’s quiet enough for reading and critical thinking, but also has inspiration everywhere you look, perfect for creative work. 

4. College Library

College Library is the ideal work and study location for the end of the day. This library is open late; it’s even open 24 hours Monday through Thursday and all of finals week. My personal favorite spot is on the first floor, in the back right corner of the quiet study section. This location is always quiet, which allows for any type of work to be done. You’re also surrounded by many other students working, which motivates you to do your own studying. The huge windows behind you overlook the lake, giving a nice view to look out over when you take a short break. College Library is the true “grind time” work spot, meaning you can get all kinds of high-level, high-stress, deadline-approaching work done from this location. If you ever need a study snack to munch on or some caffeine to keep you up, there’s also a nice café in the library.

5. Your dorm room twin XL bed

Although getting work done from your bed may not always be the most productive, sometimes it’s absolutely necessary for your mental health. I’d recommend avoiding important assignments when it comes to working in bed, but for required videos or movies, laying in your twin XL bed allows for maximum comfort and maximum happiness. Flip off the lights, climb under your cozy blankets, cuddle your favorite stuffed animals and allow yourself to become enthralled in the videos and movies.  

I encourage everyone to explore Madison to find your own favorite study spots. I’m excited to continue looking for new work spaces around campus that give me motivation and inspiration as I work through assignments and prepare for exams. Most importantly, remember to take mental breaks during work periods. Whether you take them while moving from place to place or just sitting in your desired study location, you deserve them!

Beth Shoop

Wisconsin '25

Hi, my name is Beth! I am from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, but I am currently a Junior at UW Madison studying Journalism, specifically Reporting and Strategic Communication! I hope you enjoy reading about my experiences, interests, and newfound knowledge!