Life > Academics

The Only Study Playlist You’ll Ever Need

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

10 songs to increase your productivity

After spending the past couple of years pretending that I can do homework while listening to music, I’m finally ready to admit that that’s a full-on lie—in every case but one. While I wish I was the type of person who could use my favorite songs to spark inspiration and creativity while studying, I’m actually someone who will get carried away by the lyrics and mood of the song and end up singing along instead of buckling down and working. However, over the course of my college career, I’ve curated the one and only study playlist I can listen to and not get distracted. If I can study with music, you can too; you just need to find that perfect playlist. Why not start with these 10 songs?

1. “Free Fallin’ – Live,” John Mayer

I have to start with this important disclaimer: while I very much don’t support John Mayer and his dark, twisted games (here’s looking at you, “Dear John”), his music has proven itself to be the secret ingredient to my studying. His rendition of Tom Petty’s classic is miles better than the original because it completely changes the tone of the song, stripping it down to a much calmer version. Mayer’s soft guitar plucking builds into powerful strums at the same time that his voice moves from easy riffs to confident, sustained notes. Something about this song being live really adds to the chills I get while listening to it. 

2. “Drops of Jupiter (Tell Me),” Train

The raw emotion of this song, both in the lyrical storytelling and the lead singer’s vocal quality, make it one of my favorites of all time. This song was created as an ode to the lead singer’s mother after she passed away, asking her about what follows death (“Did you make it to the Milky Way and see the lights all faded, and that heaven is overrated?”). It’s a sad song, to be sure, but above all ethereal and beautiful. For another gorgeous rendition of this song, check out Taylor Swift’s cover.

3. “Sweater Weather,” The Neighbourhood

Light a candle, grab a fuzzy blanket, and play “Sweater Weather” softly in your earbuds, preferably while looking out at autumn leaves and sipping a coffee. I guarantee you that the chill fall vibes of this song will have you feeling inspired to write that essay you’ve been putting off in no time.

4. “You and Me,” Lifehouse

Early 2000s music has an inherently nostalgic quality to it, making it perfect for the calm vibes I need to study. This song will have you swaying back and forth as you take in the easy ebb and flow of the rhythm—just enough to keep you in the present moment without distracting you from the task at hand.

5. “July,” Noah Cyrus

The steady guitar strums, slight raspiness of Noah’s voice and whistling at the end of the song blend together to create feelings of vulnerability and humanity. It’s a song that seems relaxing on the surface, but holds a deeply raw honesty beneath.

6. “Slow Dancing in a Burning Room,” John Mayer

Again, my apologies for including not just one, but two John Mayer songs on this playlist. However, if you want to hear the musical genius of John Mayer’s singing and guitar playing, listen to “Slow Dancing in a Burning Room.” The short electric guitar licks in the first half build into stronger riffs as the song continues, perfectly complementing Mayer’s vocals.

7. “Helplessly Hoping,” Crosby, Stills and Nash

This song holds a special place in my heart since I sang it with my high school choir. While my personal memories might be slightly biasing my view of the song, I still think it’s a must-listen. The impeccable harmonies between the three singers give a weightiness to the vocals and the lyrics, transforming a simple melody over a simple guitar pattern into something much stronger.

8. “Georgia,” Vance Joy

In the second line, Vance Joy sings, “Elegant and bold,” which is exactly how I would describe this acoustic song. Joy punctuates his delicate guitar playing with purposeful lyrics, evoking imagery and a feeling of calm that’s present in all of his songs. I think I could listen to this song on repeat for the rest of my life and never get tired of it.

9. “Afterglow,” Ed Sheeran

I’ve always been a big fan of Ed Sheeran, and this song captures what makes him so uniquely talented. To create this song, he recorded multiple harmonies to complement his melody so that the layers blend seamlessly. This is one of the few songs that gives me goosebumps every time I hear it.

10. “Re: Stacks,” Bon Iver

I would describe this song in lyrics written by the one and only Taylor Swift (whose collaborations with Bon Iver are everything): sad, beautiful and tragic. Many of Bon Iver’s songs are unbelievably sad, but his voice has a mystical quality that transcends all expectations. You won’t regret turning on his music in the background to soothe your thoughts as you’re reading, writing, or studying.

In writing this article, I noticed two trends: one, that most of the songs I gravitate towards while studying are acoustic, with soft vocals and guitar, and two, that in a playlist with no Taylor Swift songs, I still manage to relate just about every song to Taylor Swift. What can I say? Swiftie habits die hard.

If you’re having trouble focusing when listening to upbeat pop music, but still want music with words, try exploring some different genres like soft rock and indie/alternative. Who knows? Maybe you’ll find some of your new favorite songs while also increasing your productivity.

You can listen to my full study playlist on Spotify here.

Abby Synnes

Wisconsin '23

Abby is a senior at UW-Madison studying English and communication sciences and disorders. She is an enthusiast of good books, Taylor Swift, and vanilla lattes.