Life > Academics

The Never-Ending Midterm Season and How to Survive It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Once midterms start, they never stop.

The midterm season has finally come upon us; unfortunately, it isn’t going away any time soon. Professors are in full swing with lectures, discussions, quizzes, and more to prepare us for these dreadful exams. Once this time in the semester rolls around, I know I automatically resort to feeling anxious and stressed. I’m sure some of you are in the same position, so here are a few ways to survive the midterm season.

1. Pick a good study spot and study buddy.

There are so many study spots around campus that are super quiet for those who need dead silence, and super chatty for others who need to chat for stimulation. If you look hard enough, you will find some secret gems, such as empty classrooms and hidden libraries, that will limit your distractions. Having a study buddy tag along with you during your study hours is essential to be held accountable. I know I would rather go home and nap or watch television on my couch instead of studying, but if someone is holding me accountable, I won’t. Do not pick someone you will spend hours talking with rather than getting work done. Choose people studying for the same classes or a friend who will chat with you when you need it but stay quiet while you work hard.

2. Take care of yourself.

I often neglect my other responsibilities during the midterm season, such as working out, self-care, or getting enough sleep. Eliminating these things from your life is unnecessary during midterms and will ultimately do more harm than good. Make sure to tend to your needs because no amount of school work or exams should take priority over that. Take time for yourself by putting on a face mask, taking a bath, watching a good movie, or by going to bed a little earlier. Your body and brain will thank you later. 

3. Remember that grades aren’t everything

I know that excelling in school is something we were all told to strive for, but you are much more than your grades. People have probably said this to you a hundred times, but it is true. Not putting pressure on the outcome of your grades is a weight lifted off your shoulders. Grades don’t define who you are as a person, and you should not rely on them to validate yourself. I had to learn this the hard way when I came to college because classes were much more challenging than in high school. I struggled to achieve the grades I wanted during my freshman and sophomore years. Classes are challenging; sometimes, you just don’t click with how professors teach or the material itself. If the course is not working for you, look for other students in your class that are willing to help, watch YouTube videos, or adjust your study habits. I promise you will find something that works for you. 

I know the midterm season feels like it is never-ending once it begins, but remember that every other student is going through the same thing. The stress and anxiety that come with exams are inevitable, but following some of the ideas I shared can relieve some of them. Midterms will end, and just know whatever the outcome is, you worked hard and did the best you could. Good luck to anyone with exams coming up! 

Natalie Ingold

Wisconsin '24

Junior at the University of Wisconsin-Madison who is studying Psychology and who is learning to love to write for fun!