This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Though this might just seem like a childish movie full of songs and truffula trees, this story has so much more to offer.

When asked what my favorite movie is, I normally shock everyone present by responding with The Lorax. The Lorax is often written off as a childish movie, and though I did love it as a child, the movie is amazing for many reasons in adulthood, too. It brings a classic story back with a new life. Tying together music and cute animals partnered with bright graphics, it introduces an important critique on society as a whole. I wanted to list and explain a few aspects that make The Lorax my favorite movie. 

First of all, from a visual standpoint, the animation and bright graphics make this movie a must-watch. From the tufts of the truffula trees to the barren desert, there is so much detail in the design and animation. The graphics take you right into the world of Dr. Suess. Along with the simple graphics, the bright colors and adorable animals enhance the story even more. How could you possibly be sad when bright orange fish and bears are dancing around on the screen? Even though the visual parts of this movie bring Dr. Suess’s vision to life on their own, the movie has many other important aspects as well. 

There is a great soundtrack that follows throughout the movie. Catchy songs such as “How Bad Can I Be?” and “Thneedville” will be stuck in your head for days. My favorite song is “Let It Grow,” more specifically the O’Hare part. The music also doubles as a way to move the story along. The lyrics do a great job of pushing the watcher through the story and providing entertainment along the way. 

Lastly, this movie is a social critique into the issues of environmental issues and corporate greed. Some of the highlights include environmental issues such as deforestation, pollution and resource depletion. These are all issues that are happening in our society currently and this movie shows the devastating consequences if we continue to live this way and abuse the environment. The Lorax also provides an important look into economic greed from corporations. The Once-ler and O’Hare are willing to put the environment and society at risk to make money and become more important. This correlates to many issues that are seen today in large corporations. While showing the importance of corporate responsibility in environmental measures, the movie encourages companies to make decisions which do not revolve around economic measures. Rather, companies should prioritize the environment to make sure that our world does not suffer dramatic consequences. 

Overall, The Lorax should not be counted out when thinking of great movies. There should be no shocked faces when I announce that this is my favorite movie. Not only are there great visuals and songs, there is also a great message that gives such a deep critique of the economic and environmental issues that can be seen in our present society. 

“Unless someone likes you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better, it’s not” – The Lorax

A lifelong storyteller with a love for anything outdoors