This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

A guide to doing things solo

As someone who is graduating this spring, I think I need to get more comfortable doing things by myself. I have been slowly trying to do this over the past year, but I still need more practice. I’m going to go over some of the things I have tried to do by myself and my tips on how to make it more comfortable. 

I think that people feel most scared about doing things like eating at a restaurant, studying in a library or cafe, going to the gym, or going to a movie. These all seem daunting and I don’t love the idea of doing most of them alone, but it can make your life easier and help you be more independent. 

I have been studying alone for a long time now, so I know lots of different techniques to make it more enjoyable. Studying is probably the easiest to do alone because you have to do it, and a lot of people frequently study alone. I usually try to find a nice study place where I feel comfortable, like the Sunset Lounge in the Union, College Library, or the Historical Society. I like these places because they’re either quiet or have nice views, which helps with the vibes.

Gyms are kinda terrifying for a girl, especially when they’re filled with gym bros. I still don’t love going to the gym by myself, but to get over this I sometimes walk there with one of my friends. Since they like running and I detest it, we split up to do our workouts alone, but this at least helps me get in the building. I think that working out alone is easier when you have headphones to listen to music. This distracts you from people you think are watching you (even though they’re not). I also try to pick a workout where I don’t have to move from machine to machine. Personally, I love the second floor of the Nick, which has cardio machines and mats with free weights. 

There are some helpful tips to help in any situation where you’re enjoying something by yourself. This summer, I took lots of hot girl walks around Monona Terrace and up and down State Street, where I would walk into random stores. I always did this while listening to music or podcasts to make me feel less alone, and sometimes stopped at Kung Fu Tea to get a drink to have something to do. I also did this while walking around the Chazen because my friends and I always say we’ll go, but I didn’t want to wait for that miracle of scheduling. Being confident enough to do things by yourself can allow you to accomplish and experience things you have always wanted to do but have not had the chance to do with friends.

This leads to possibly the most uncomfortable place to go alone: a restaurant. When I was a freshman, I was terrified of eating alone in the dining hall and I would avoid it as much as I could. However, it really isn’t that scary, and lots of people do it because of conflicting schedules. You can make yourself feel less lonely by reading a book or working on your laptop. This can be extended to eating alone at sit-down restaurants for a nice meal. If you’re still nervous, you can start smaller, like eating at a more casual restaurant or cafe. 

Doing things alone doesn’t have to be lonely, it can be freeing to be independent and do things you enjoy. You shouldn’t let having to schedule plans around other people stop you from doing what you want. Everyone should try to do activities they like alone to gain a greater appreciation for themselves. Even if you’re afraid, you have nothing to lose, and you might be surprised by how much fun you have. The next thing I want to try alone is going to see a movie!

Kathryn Sobota

Wisconsin '23

UW-Madison '23