This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Pinterest is, by far, one of the easiest places to get distracted. It was created to inspire everyday people, and it’s where you can find inspiration for all types of art, events, ways to organize and decorate, places to go, and things to do. After hours of liking, pinning and creating the perfect board, there comes a point where we all wonder if we are actually going to try any of the things we just spent a majority of the day obsessing over.

To be honest, I have never tried to do any of the DIY crafts, dorm hacks or cooking recipes that I’ve pinned. However, after a year of pinning, I have finally decided to imitate the pictures that have inspired me for so long. I looked through all of my boards and picked my favorite DIY projects to recreate.

Tape Art

Grab some washi tape or painters tape, and find a wall. Then, come up with a funky geometric pattern, and tape away! Bonus: it’s pretty easy to get off, so if you mess up or have to take it down at the end of the year, it shouldn’t be too hard.

Plant arrangement

Succulents are great plants that don’t need a lot of care (#lazycollegestudent). Arrange them in a cute pot or mug, add some soil, and place it somewhere in your room. Disclaimer: I do not have a clue how to take care of these plants. All I know is you don’t need water. Do they need sunlight? Who knows.

Canvas art

This ended up to be one of my least favorite DIY projects. Maybe it’s the color choice, or maybe it just brings back bad memories of painting those circles over, and over, and over again (It took about 5 coats to fill in the way I wanted it to). BUT, I still think it’s wall-worthy, and I added a quote because it’s cute. It’s slightly basic, but it’s still pretty cute. 

Paper wall hangings

This project was also pretty time-consuming but well worth it. Find a stencil, or print it out online, and cut the paper away accordingly. When you are done with that, tape the back of the newly cut paper to string and hang it up.

Lights and Wine Glasses

Want a perfect way to reuse your empty wine glass? Paint something pretty on the glass and stick lights in it! When all the lights in your room are turned off, you’ll easily be able to see your wine glass sparkle. WARNING: It may bring back terrible drunken memories of the first time you used that bottle! Light up accordingly.

So there you have it! Here are some fun ways to spice up your dorm room or apartment while simultaneously feeling accomplished in the arts. Best part is all these projects are pretty easy to do yourself! 

Michelle is a sophomore double majoring in art and communication arts at University of Wisconsin Madison. Some of her favorite things to do include going to the beach and not getting sunburned, eating lots of food and wondering if she should go to the gym, watching DVD's and Netflix for longer than anyone should ever admit and laughing at her own jokes.
Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!