Take Back The Night 2017

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Madison has an exciting event coming up next week called Take Back The Night. Never heard of it? No problem, Alexandra Desautel can tell you all about it!

What is Take Back The Night?

Take Back The Night is a nationwide movement that has two goals: spread awareness about sexual assault and empower victims to take back the night from the fear that many of us feel.

Why is this important?

Our mission is to “Take Back The Night” – reclaiming a time of our day that women are told to not walk alone or to not be out at all. Together we hope to not only raise awareness, but to show support for victims, and demand that we stop teaching women “how to not get raped” and start teaching men to not rape. Boys will not “be boys”, and we are all responsible for helping to change this culture. 

How can students here on campus get involved with the event?

We will presenting Madison’s own TBTN event on April 19th at 8:00 pm. We will have a presentation from local community leaders and members of the TBTN team. Following our presentation, our participations will take back the night by participating in a 5k Run/ 2mi Walk from City Hall around Lake Monona.

One last note from Alexandra: “PLEASE consider either signing up for the run or donating to the cause! This money will go towards providing educational programming for students, parents, and teachers, regardless of gender!”

Sign up for the event here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1I7LZcuF_JmUOCIwkH1fW0OTw6v_FKHzUfaq24zX9OA8/viewform?edit_requested=true

Hallie Heath

Wisconsin '18

Hi guys, I'm Hallie! I'm now graduated from undergrad and law school at UW-Madison.
Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!