This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

It’s officially that point in the semester: everyone is getting homesick. We’re all struggling with wanting to go home but not wanting to miss out on the weekend festivities. When it comes to surviving homesickness, everyone has a different way of combating the feels. Not sure how to make it through another week without impulse-buying a ticket home? We’ve got the perfect list of survival tips for homesickness!

1. Keep in touch

An easy way to avoid getting too overwhelmed and disconnected from home is to simply keep in touch. Even one text or phone call home can brighten your day and remind you how much love and support you have no matter how far away you are. You can also try FaceTiming your bestie to catch up about how much you both miss your family and friends from your hometown. It always helps to have someone to relate to (and even cry with for those days you really need to let it all out).

2. Stay busy

Downtime is when most students find themselves thinking about home and all the things they miss about being there–like being able to sleep without hearing every annoying noise people make in your dorm/apartment. Finding student orgs and off-campus activities to get involved with can help keep you active and prevent you from having too much free time to sit in your room and miss home.

3. Plan time for things you enjoy

Trying to stay busy can sometimes mean that we overwhelm ourselves with stressful commitments and things we do to pass the time. It’s important that we take time out of our busy schedules to do the things that make us happy and lift our moods, especially during these dreary winter months. It can be something as simple as watching your favorite show on Netflix or going to dinner with a friend or two.

Pro tip: the café on the first floor of Helen C. White is a great spot for a dinner break with a friend in the midst of midterms!

4. Relax and get some fresh air

Stress can play a major role in homesickness. Taking steps to prevent and relieve stress can help in surviving homesickness. Exercise, fresh air, and relaxation are key components in managing stress. It can be hard to get motivated to go outside in the middle of a Wisconsin winter, but taking a short walk can refresh your brain and body. Consider finding weekly activities like yoga or group classes at the SERF to relieve stress and regroup for the week.

And if all else fails…drop out of school and move back home. Moms don’t like to encourage dropping out, but we all know that they would love nothing more than to have their babies back home (and home-cooked meals are a major plus).

Hallie Heath

Wisconsin '18

Hi guys, I'm Hallie! I'm now graduated from undergrad and law school at UW-Madison.
Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!