Summerfest 2016: Breaking Down the Line-Up

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

If you’re staying in Wisconsin for the summer, then you’ll probably make the trip to Milwaukee at some point between June 29th and July 10th for the annual Summerfest Music Festival. Summerfest has become a little like flat soda; it’s not overly exciting but you’re most likely going to drink it anyway. Unless you happen to be a die-hard fan of one of the headliners, you were probably less than impressed with the line-up for this summer– but it’s all about knowing who to see and who to skip, and of course, making sure to buy some Summerfest corn-on-the-cob.

Day 1, June 29th: Selena Gomez with DNCE

Although Selena is a big name for Summerfest and I have no doubts she’ll put on an entertaining show, I’d approach this headliner with caution. As girl-crush-worthy as she is, rumor has it that Selena isn’t all that spectacular live. DNCE? They’ll have approximately 1 song the rest of the audience knows. 

Instead, I would definitely check out some of the less popular shows that night. Martin Garrix will no doubt bring a party to Milwaukee. If you’re above the age of 60, I’m sure Willie Nelson will suit your style. Weird Al is destined to bring some laughs to the stage—although I’m not sure I could spend an entire concert listening to song parodies—and Dustin Lynch and Brett Young will be available for all you Wisconsin country girls.

Day 2, June 30th: TBD @ AMPITHEATER

Summerfest still hasn’t locked a headliner down for the 2nd day and personally I’m hoping for a rap or hip-hop artist to be brought into the mix (@J-Cole?)

Other artists on the 30th could be a hit or a miss. Jack & Jack are guaranteed to draw in the middle school crowds. Check out Michael Franti and Spearhead if you want to get a second-hand high or just want to people watch the most interesting crowd of the night. I have always liked Passion Pit but I believe Black Violin will be a really sweet concert and if you’re looking for something new and interesting, they are my recommendation for the night.

Day 3, July 1st: Blake Shelton with Parmalee

The concert to attend if you’re missing CUSA this year. Blake himself is a fantastic artist and scored a good opener! Parmalee is rising up in the country music world. If you like beer and sunshine you’ll be happy enough here.

Other concert options for this night are minimal. Ray LaMontagne and O.A.R. both have great voices and a few songs you’re bound to recognize but Timeflies will undeniably have the most lit concert of the night aside from Blake himself. I’ve seen Timeflies two times in the past and they bring an entertaining show and impressive freestyle game.

Day 4, July 2nd: Chris Stapleton with the Alabama Shakes

Who? That’s what I’m saying too. They are very “your father’s country.” I’d skip it.

Nelly is coming on one of the free stages. I know he was bigger in the early 2000’s but he’s one of the people I’d go see just to say I did. Both Hippo Campus and Peter Bjorn and John have a unique sound that will probably draw a select crowd. In the end, Rachel Platten will most likely attract the masses as she’s much more recent on the music scene. She has an incredible voice and I’d be so disappointed if she didn’t crush it live.

Day 5, July 3rd: Tim McGraw with Kacey Musgraves and Ryan Kinder

I’m a little biased since I grew up listening to Tim McGraw with my dad, but I love him. Tim’s a classic—and yes this is the same Tim McGraw that T-Swift sings about in her first big song.

My only other suggestion for this day would The Roots, the official house band for The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon.

Day 6, July 5th: TBD @ AMPITHEATER

Headliner to-be-announced, but luckily for all us Summerfesters, Jason Derulo will be on one of the free stages! With some great throwbacks and sexy dance moves, it should be a good performance. If he isn’t your type of eye-candy, there’s two country cuties as well, Granger Smith and Michael Ray.

Day 7, July 6th: Deff Leppard with Reo Speedwagon and Tesla

You already know your crazy aunt has her tickets for this show…

If you’re anything like me, you probably won’t be paying extra money to see that. Instead, I’d check out Hunter Hayes or Brooke Eden if you’re into country. Hunter is such a cutie and Brooke is fierce. Or, if you’re sick of country twang, I’d check out Andra Day or Milky Chance. Andra Day is a stellar vocalist and Milky Chance should be low key and fun. Don’t forget Sir-Mix-A-Lot is there too, might want to see him just for the hell of it.

Day 8, July 7th: Luke Bryan with Frankie Ballard

Considering the other artists there on the 7th, this will be the concert to be at on Thursday. I saw Luke a few years ago at Summerfest and even for someone who can only handle limited amounts of country, he is one damn good performer and I enjoyed every second of his concert. A huge plus is Frankie Ballard, Luke’s opener. There’s something special about a country concert on a summer night.

Day 9, July 8th: TBD @ AMPITHEATER

Another “TBD”, come on Summerfest! As for the smaller names, I’d skip Elle King and either check out The Fray or Young the Giant. Both groups have strong vocals and lots of great songs. I saw The Fray years ago in Madison and the band has so much musical talent.

Day 10, July 9th: Weezer and Panic! At the Disco with Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness

I’d go see Weezer just to jam out to “Beverly Hills.” I’m sure this concert will be a lot of fun and full of energy. Not sure who the opener is, but having two bigger headliners will make for a good concert.

If you’re not attending the Marcus Ampitheater show, my recommendation would be Death Cab for a Cutie.

Day 11, July 10th: Sting and Peter Gabriel

I must admit, although I know they both are classic and respected artists, I wouldn’t pay extra for this one. Instead, as usual, I’d check out the free stages. Chase Rice will be an obvious first choice for most people, and of course, he’s country. I was interested in Jana Kramer, being a die-hard One Tree Hill fan, but no promises she’ll actually be a good artist live.

So there it is. Day by day advice on who to check out or avoid. Sure, they aren’t bringing Beyoncé or Kanye, but there’s fun to be found in the line-up if you are willing to find it! Remember, it’s all about the music. Enjoy!

UW-Madison • Journalism: Double-tracking Reporting and Strategic Communications with a Certificate in Digital Studies