This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

The words I have to describe HerConference are: amazing, inspiring, incredible, jaw-droppingly fabulous, and so on. Everything from the location, to the gift bags, to the speakers, was beyond what I could have expected when I first heard about this. First off, New York City itself would have made the weekend worthwhile. Having never been there before, I was completely awestruck at the energy; it was completely different from what I expected, but so much better. Alicia Keyes pretty much nailed it. Safe to say it stole my heart, and renewed my Gossip Girl obsession. Let’s take a moment to worship the gift bags which were crammed with coupons from Kate Spade, Nine West, and Chipotle, coffee tumblers, water bottles, bracelets, hair products, makeup, and notebooks. Breakfast, snacks, and lunch (catered by Chipotle… so endless guac) were provided. Armed with goody bags galore, and extremely amped on coffee (unlimited espresso!), we were prepared to learn how to kick some a** in the professional world.

The Conference had a fantastic keynote speaker lineup of ultra-successful women who were happy to share their secrets to success. We’re talking the editor of People Stylewatch, Editor-in-Chief of Seventeen, Special Projects Director of Cosmopolitan Magazine, VP of editorial strategy for Refinery 29, Director of No Ceilings: The Full Participation Project all giving a group of girls tips to reach their dreams. Between keynote speakers, there were multiple panels you could attend depending on if you wanted to learn about and how to get to where you want to be. Here are some of my favorite pieces of advice:

1. Passion is KEY! You can start from anywhere, but you are responsible for being noticed, and for creating opportunities for yourself. 
  2. Take big risks and FAIL FORWARD! Keep in mind these need to be calculated risks, so be smart about it. 
  3. Don’t stay where you are not learning. Take responsibility for your own development.
  4. Don’t be a jerk. Not everyone has to like you (its your work that’s important!), but it doesn’t mean you can’t make friends.
  5. There are no stupid questions! BUT do your research and be in the know. Nothing beats preparation!
  6. Work/Life balance is important. Also, have a posse of supportive people. Healthy relationships are necessary.
  7. Keep in touch! You never know who could end up being a sponsor or mentor for you later on.
  8. It’s ok to put yourself first. “As soon as I decided it was ok to go for it, it started working.” -Laura Brounstein, Special Projects Director, Cosmopolitan Magazine
  9. Be present. Don’t just do, but be.
  10. Hustle! Go with full force towards your goal and with POSITIVE energy!!
  11. Always lead with a YES.
  12. “Do you think men have to say ’empower’? No, they say ‘I got it, I have it.’” – #ActuallySheCan
  13. Confidence is like a muscle; you have to keep working on it everyday.” – Michelle Tan, Editor-in-Chief Seventeen Magazine
  14. Keep believing even after a failure.
  15. Victory Cycle = grow, learn, fail, repeat.
  16. Finally, one of the most true statements of all: “The devil does not wear Prada, the devil eats Chipotle.”  

Thank you Michelle Tan for speaking the collegiate food language.

The advice given and lessons taught were applicable to all professions, and life in general. It encouraged all of us to become stronger, more independent, and successful young women heading out into the real world. The HerConference experience was extraordinary; I’m already saving up to go next year. And did I mention it’s in New York City? It really doesn’t get any better than that.

I am a freshman at University of Wisconsin, Madison from Minneapolis, Minnesota. I'm studying Neurobiology and Spanish with the hope of attending medical school one day. I love food, fashion, coffee and traveling! My dream place to travel to is India. I plan on living in Seattle, Washington when I grow up!
Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!