books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

Study Abroad: Expectation vs. Reality

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

So you’re finally legal to drink.

Expectation:

Reality:

Drinking in Europe is expensive, so you’re most likely getting drunk off cheap wine or other cheap alcohol.  It’s really just like college, except in Euros and with older, creepier guys.  

Where you’re living

Expectation:

Reality:

Wherever you’re living probably isn’t the palace you imagined, and your rent is most likely ridiculous.  If you’re not living alone, you probably have a ton of roommates in a tiny apartment.  The more the merrier right? 

Making foreign friends

Expectation:

Reality:

Foreigners probably aren’t swarming to you (and if they are it’s not a good thing).  Make an effort and you’re sure to end up with at least a couple foreign friends.

The Clubs:

Expectation:

Reality:

Clubs are crowded and have a lot of creepers.  Plus the cover can be ridiculous, so be prepared for the whole experience before you go.    

Traveling in Europe

Expectation:

Reality:

You want to go everywhere in Europe, and you can!  It just might not be pretty getting there.  Checking your bag might just cost as much as your ticket.  Remember EasyJet and Ryan Air are you friends, even if they don’t seem like it. 

The Food

Expectation:

Reality:

Eating foreign food all the time is a challenge, especially when you don’t know what everything is.  I don’t blame you for missing your local pizza joint every once and a while.  Also, nothing is 24 hours…what’s up with that?

FOMO

You hate to admit it but seeing your friends’ pics from home can be hard.  You might even experience a little bit of FOMO, even if you refuse to tell anyone. 

But Overall:

You’re studying abroad… you really can’t complain. 

Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!