Staying in Touch with the People You Love: College Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

College can be hard. Especially when first starting out, getting used to the workload and being away from our family and friends it can be an extremely stressful time. You worry about losing touch with the people you’ve known since kindergarten and missing the important moments with your parents and your siblings. It’s a big adjustment, and trying to keep up with your life back home while starting a new life at college calls for time management as well as finding a new normal when it comes to communication. 

I’ve found setting a call schedule is extremely helpful when it comes to talking to your parents. I call my parents every Sunday at a time that works for both of us and we stick to that time. This does not have to be strict, but when it becomes part of my weekly routine it ensures that I don’t put it off. Making a weekly call schedule with other people who have busy schedules is effective and keeps one another updated on the small things that might be forgotten about with less frequent calls.

A schedule is great, but it’s also important to truly connect with the person you’re talking to! It’s easy to get wrapped up in our own lives and forget that they may be stressed too. Make sure you listen to them, and they listen to you — like a normal conversation. This seems so simple, but communicating over the phone can make it harder than you think.

If you’re especially crunched for time, sending a text is always a nice way to let someone know you’re thinking of them. I know that texts like these have brightened my day — it reminds me that I am still connected to the people I love even if we haven’t talked lately. Although not ideal, it is okay to have homework and other events going on; it is part of life, and all you can do is support each other!

On that note, don’t stress too much about staying in touch with your loved ones. If you put pressure on yourself to talk to someone, the odds are that you won’t end up having a good conversation anyway. The truth is you’ll find that it just becomes too difficult to stay connected and communicate with some friends. It’s normal and it’s part of college, so don’t let less connections with people from home negatively affect your life at school!

I want to remind you that it’s okay to talk less frequently to the people you love. In no way does it mean that you are less connected to them. Don’t forget to be present at college, if you sacrifice new experiences for the sake of maintaining your past, you won’t be able to enjoy yourself in the long run.

Catherine Walsh

Wisconsin '23

Cat has loved writing since middle school, from poetry to fiction to non-fiction, and now to journalism. She is a sophomore majoring in Social Welfare and Spanish, with a certificate in Chican@ and Latin@ Studies. She loves her supportive family, her dogs, and her school. She finds excitement and also relaxation in writing, and hopes that through her pieces on the website, people can get to know her better!
I am a senior at the greatest university— the University of Wisconsin. I am in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication, double tracking in reporting and strategic communications and earning a certificate in and Digital Studies. I am a lover of dance, hiking, writing for Her Campus, the Badgers and strawberry acais. I am also a president of Her Campus Wisconsin.