kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Staying Healthy During a Wisco Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Is it just me, or does flu season seem to be year-round here at the University of Wisconsin-Madison?  Getting sick always comes at the worst possible time, too: right before a big midterm, your birthday weekend, spring break… you know how it goes.  Check out some of these tips for staying healthy even amongst coughs, Kleenex and NyQuil.

Wash your hands

While this seems painfully obvious, it’s easy to stroll into Gordon’s, pick up a tray and go straight to the goods.  Washing your hands is one of the best ways to avoid spreading germs.  Use warm water and scrub for about 30 seconds, targeting everywhere on your hands. Hand sanitizer is also a good option.

Don’t share drinks

Whether it be your daily Camelback or a red Solo cup at a party, make sure to keep track of your own drinks to avoid spreading germs.

Eat healthy food

Instead of snacking on chips and chocolate, try picking up an apple or an orange.  Those extra nutrients and antioxidants help your body fight off germs.

Exercise

Going to the SERF a couple times a week or walking to class instead of taking the bus can help build up your immune system. Don’t skimp on you exercise routine, especially if you feel a cold coming on!

Drink water

A morning cup of coffee is always a good pick-me-up, but your body needs water to fight off infections.  Try to avoid other sugary drinks like soda and juice.  Is water too bland for you?  Try picking up a pack of Emergen-C.  Each pack only has 20 calories and its chalk-full of 24 nutrients and 7 B vitamins.

Sleep

This one shouldn’t be too difficult.  If you’re tired, it probably means your immune system is down.  Put down the books a couple hours earlier than normal and do your body a favor.

Avoid binge-drinking

You might want to think twice before pre-gaming the pre-game.  Excessive drinking dehydrates your body, which can weaken your immune system.  Not to mention the countless bottles of Burnett’s being passed from mouth-to-mouth before a Badger game. 

See the doctor early

If you do get sick, make sure to set up a doctor’s appointment or drop by UHS early. Don’t let a cold or mild flu turn into something more severe. University Health Services has tons of awesome advice and resources. Click here to visit their site and check them out for yourself!

Make the most of this semester by taking care of your body and strengthening your immune system instead of spending Friday nights miserable and alone in bed. You’ll thank yourself later! 

Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!