Stages of the Sophomore Social Slump as Told by the Characters of Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

The sophomore social slump is a time during a college student’s sophomore year when he or she tends to not go out as much on weekends. Many people go through this, but it can be changed with the support of friends, with some rethinking, and with some extra effort. Here are the five stages of the sophomore social slump as told by the characters of friends:

Stage 1: Denial

You think you have a lot of homework and studying to do whether you actually really do or not, so you make up every excuse to not go out.

Stage 2: Making excuses

You start to believe that if you go out again that you will embarrass yourself, like the last several times you went out. Plus, you know that if you stay in you will finally have some alone time, which is hard to get a lot of when you have roommates.

Stage 3 Reevaluation

You start to reevaluate your life choices and the reason you are in college in the first place. Though in college for an education, it’s also the prime time to have fun and make friends. So, maybe you should go out some more.

Stage 4: Giving in

Eventually you agree to go out and try to have fun, maybe enjoy a few drinks.

Stage 5: Success

By the end of the night, you’ve successfully enjoyed yourself and your company, and maybe even got a little drunk.

To all my sophomores: college years are short and something you don’t want to miss out on, so don’t live this year slumping. Instead, enjoy every moment you can!

Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!