Spring Staples to Start Adding to Your Closet Now

With the days getting longer and the sun finally starting to warm our cheeks, your wardrobe might be starting to feel a little out of season. To make sure that you are fashionably prepared for the days when the sun starts to shine and the temperature starts to rise, it’s a good idea to make sure you have some spring essentials so you aren’t caught off guard. We’ve created a list of things that you can start adding to your closet now to prepare for the upcoming season shift!  

1. 1. A good pair of jeans 

College Women Freeze Eggs

Many of us live our lives in denim, especially in the spring! There’s nothing like a crisp pair of jeans paired with your favorite t-shirt, button-down, or a flowy blouse. What’s more, there are so many styles to choose from that you’re bound to find a cute pair to define or upgrade your spring wardrobe. Check out a few of my favorite pairs below!   

High-Waisted Artist Flare Jean - American Eagle 

High Waist Raw Hem Straight Leg Jeans - Top Shop

Women's High-Rise Striped Straight Cropped Jeans - Target  

2. 2. Durable Sneakers

Anna Schultz-Girl Sitting On Steps Alone With Rings

Wisconsin’s spring weather can be pretty questionable. With snow flurries one day and sunshine the next, you never know what the sidewalks are going to be like on your way to class! For this reason, it’s a great idea to make sure you have a durable pair of sneakers to bum around this spring. Not only will they keep your feet comfy & well supported on your way to class, but they’ll also add a classic pop to any outfit you pair them with! 

Dote chunky sneakers with studs in white - ASOS Design

720 Sneaker - New Balance

Platform Sneakers - H&M  

3. 3. Lightweight Jacket 

man and woman holding hands

Lightweight jackets are a spring essential because, just like fall, layering is key during these next few months. In fall you are more likely searching for faux fur or suede pieces, so for the springtime, you might want to try something a little different to layer under! It’s also not the worst idea to make sure you have a lightweight jacket that’s waterproof and can protect you from most of the elements.   

Boxy Corduroy Jacket - H&M  

AE Studio Oversized Hooded Windbreaker - American Eagle  

Utility Jacket - Thread & Supply

4. 4. Sweatshirts & Light Sweaters

Stars And Ice Cream 3

Sweatshirts & lightweight sweaters are the perfect top for springtime because they look sharp and are easy to layer with! Chances are some of your fall sweaters can double as springtime wear, but it’s always fun to try on pieces with livelier colors when heading into the season of sunshine and flowers.

Oversized Super Soft Sweat in Charcoal - ASOS Design  

Half-zip Sweatshirt - H&M  

AE Perfect Spring Sweater - American Eagle

5. 5. Lightweight Scarf 

Liv Brown at a waterfall rep image

We’re almost to the time where you can set aside your chunky blanket scarves and trade them in for breezier and brighter options! Spring weather can still be a little chilly and so having something to protect your neck and face is pretty important. As you transition your wardrobe this season, keep an eye out for lighter weight scarves that will still keep you cozy on the chillier days and add a pop to your outfit. 

Women's Washed Jacquard Oblong Scarf - Target  

Supersoft Long Woven Dip Dye Scarf with Tassels - ASOS Design

6. 6. Fun Floral Pieces

floral dress

Last, but not least, making sure you have a few fun, floral pieces around when the days are just that little bit warmer is always a great idea! Even if the weather is on the cooler side, flowery tops and accessories can be paired with chunky sweaters and other cozy pieces. It’s just a sweet way to remind yourself that April showers really do bring May flowers and that warmer days are ahead! 

Puff Sleeved Blouse - H&M  

Ruffle Hem Wrap Dress - Abercrombie & Fitch  

Floral Print Button Front Top - All in Favor

Get yourself and your wardrobe geared up for spring by adding these staples to your closet now! This way, when those rainy days roll around you won’t be staring blankly at your clothes wondering what in the world you should wear. We got you covered!