Spice Up your Spring Semester Weekends!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

I’m not sure about you, but Spring Semester really sprung up on me this time around, and I always look forward to coming back to my friends and to getting back into a routine. However, I never look forward to Spring as much as I do Fall because it always seems like there is so much less to do. I am always twiddling my thumbs trying to find things to occupy my time with. This semester I really wanted to be better about it and actually get on top of planning exciting weekends with my friends. Here’s a quick list of some of the things that you can add to your Spring Semester Weekend Plans if you find yourself a little bored this time around!   

Go to Chicago

Living out West, I’ve never really had an opportunity to visit cities in the Midwest. Since my freshman year, I’ve taken every opportunity to explore Madison, but I have never been to Chicago. This is one trip that I am so excited and ready, and I definitely want to go to before the semester is over. Take some time to enjoy a day trip with some of your closest friends around the windy city! You could go to lunch and see the bean, and then get dinner and see a show in the city! To make it even more fun, you could book an Airbnb or a hotel for the night and grab brunch in the morning! Overall, this idea could book a whole weekend easily, and you’ll make memories that will last forever! 

Wisconsin Basketball Game 

Sadly, I have never attended a basketball game at UW Madison, and I’m truly on my way to getting FOMO because of it. With that being said, another one of my goals for this semester is to make it to the Kohl Center for one of the games! This can totally take up a Saturday night, and you can hop over to Dotty’s for dinner and then make your way to the Kohl Center! This is such a good way to fill the void of the absence of Football Saturdays! 

Chazen Museum of Art 

At the heart of campus sits our honorable Chazen Museum of Art. Various reviews have warned that the museum can be very easy to get lost in because of its maze of exhibits. This is a fun day trip excursion where you can just enjoy a relaxing day away from classes, and it’s the perfect way to spend your weekends this Spring! 

Overture Center for the Arts 

You can’t deny that there is a universal joy that comes from experiencing a live musical, show, or play that really takes away the boredom from the Spring Semester. At the Overture Center, you are sure to find a huge variety of shows and plays every weekend, to keep you and your friends entertained. This season the Overture is featuring Wicked: The Musical and The Color Purple, so be sure to check those out this semester! 

Brunch Saga 

Out of all the meals out of the day, brunch is, without a doubt, my favorite! In Madison, there are a plethora of brunch places to try, and you will never find yourself bored with all of the options! You might be thinking that I’ll tell you the classic Bassett Street Brunch Club and Mickey’s Dairy Bar by Camp Randall, but there is so much more that’s beyond State Street such as Graze and Marigold’s Kitchen, which is by the Capitol. Even further on Willy Street, you’ll find Madison Sourdough with house-baked pastries that you won’t be able to resist. Take a couple Saturdays or Sundays, and have a brunch adventure with some of your greatest gal pals, and do your ranking of the best places in Madison for Brunch! 

Ice Skating 

Yes, I know you might be thinking, “Why would I want to go Ice Skating when it’s literally below 20 every single day of the semester?”, but I’m going to tell you that Ice Skating in Madison might be different when you’re out on Lake Mendota looking back at Madison. Just choose a day, and do an hour or two on the lake. You’ll be able to say that you’ve done it and feel fulfilled, rather than sitting on your couch wasting away a perfectly good weekend. However, I get it, if you’re not up for freezing your butt off, the Shell right next to Camp Randall has an ice rink that is open for themed open skates every Saturday at 8:00 pm! 

I hope that one of these day trips struck you and that you’ll be able to fit it into one of your weekends this semester! Besides, with no more football Saturdays, you’re going to need to fill up your weekends with exciting and memorable activities!  

Kailla Sam

Wisconsin

I am a senior at the greatest university— the University of Wisconsin. I am in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication, double tracking in reporting and strategic communications and earning a certificate in and Digital Studies. I am a lover of dance, hiking, writing for Her Campus, the Badgers and strawberry acais. I am also a president of Her Campus Wisconsin.