This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Women. I love women. They are powerful, fierce, bold and don’t back down from any challenge. 2020 is a disaster… you know. But, through this disaster, there has also been some light and hope. The light that’s been shining is the involvement of women and their impact. With that, I’m going to highlight six women who have been influential for me in 2020 and why they matter to me. 

Megan Rapinoe

Her empowerment on the field is not just for the show. She has continued to use her empowerment to advocate not just for women, but for racial equality and social justice. She’s used her platform to support the BLM protests, to encourage the usage of masks and social distancing during the pandemic and to play active roles in the government by voting. I fell in love with her for her skill on the soccer field, but seeing what she is doing off the field is what has made me love her even more. She is a reminder that we can always be doing something more to help all people. For me, that’s turning my social media from not only sharing about my life, but to now educating others about what I’m learning.

Rose and Rosie

Rose and Rosie is a YouTube couple who displays the casual-ness of LGBTQ+ in the real world. They have shared their personal lives, crazy stories, and of course emphasized that being gay is no different than being straight. They have allowed me to be more vocal in who I am and not to be ashamed of it. If it weren’t for them, I definitely would not have the confidence that I have today in expressing my queerness. 

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (AOC)

On July 22, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (AOC) stated this iconic quote, “But hey, b*itches get stuff done.” Honestly, I don’t know why this isn’t everywhere on my social media, but it should be. Florida Representative Ted Yoho verbally attacked AOC that day on the Capitol. He called her a b*tch, as he was walking away from her and AOC took to her twitter to say that she and Yoho never even interacted prior to that incident, before uttering these words. That is an attitude that I want to carry around. That I, as a woman, can and will do anything that I put my mind to. That I am not the opinion of anyone. While I still struggle with what people think of, the confidence of AOC is what I strive for every day.

Taylor Swift

You know Taylor Swift as one of the most successful musicians yet (and that is a fact). But in 2020, she has done more than just dropped groundbreaking and heartfelt music: She has advocated for LGBTQ+ equalities, encouraged people to vote, opened up her personal life in hopes of inspiring people who are struggling, and has not been afraid to hold leaders accountable. Taylor went from a country girl, trying to please everyone to now educating people on social and political issues. Her involvement has pushed me to share what I believe in…I mean a year ago, I definitely didn’t have the guts to write an article about the racial injustice that is present today, but Taylor inspired me to shake off any hesitations and share. 

Ruth Bader Ginsburg (RBG)

Every so often, we’d receive news that Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg (RBG) is in the hospital due to her health. Then the update would be that she’s back at work. I never thought that the day would come that she’d pass away… While her death signifies an ending to her physical service on the Supreme Court, her legacy should be carried on. I want to continue her legacy. Yes, I am not in government but I can still sign petitions, vote, donate and discuss. She’s inspired me to act; not to sit and hope that someone else fixes the problems, but to go out and do something. That’s what she did. She started from the bottom due to her gender, but worked her way up into Cornell and Harvard. She became a clerk judge, a professor, a judge of the U.S. Courts of Appeals and finally the second woman to become a Supreme Court Justice. She’s fought for abortion rights, voting equality, stable working conditions and LGBTQ+ rights. She’s acted. And for me, that is something I intend to do. For RBG and for others.

Pain, illness, uncertainty, unjust and inequality: adjectives that describe 2020. Expression, pride, confidence, involvement and action: adjectives that describe the six women who’ve impacted me. Megan Rapinoe has inspired me to keep going and not stop fighting. Rose and Rosie helped me accept that I’m queer and to not shy away from it. AOC showed the grit to not give a shit. Taylor Swift has given me the courage to voice my thoughts and opinions. And finally, RBG taught me to stand up for what is right and take action. Through the rough times this year, these women have been a constant source to look up to and they will continue to be that source as not only the year continues, but my journey through life.  

Natalia Iding

Wisconsin '23

I'm a Sophomore at the Univerity of Wisconsin-Madison and planning to double major in Human Development and Family Studies and Gender Woman's Studies. In my free time, I like to watch Netflix, play sports, and hang out with my family!
Kate O’Leary

Wisconsin '23

Kate is currently a senior at the University of Wisconsin Madison majoring in Biology, Psychology and Sociology. She is the proud co-president of Her Campus Wisconsin. Kate enjoys indoor cycling, spending time with friends, cheering on the Badgers and making the absolute best crepes ever!