Style > Fashion

Six ways to take the “Coastal Grandmother Aesthetic” into fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Everyone knows that the “Coastal Grandmother” was the it-girl of summer 2022. With these six simple steps you can carry the “Coastal Grandmother Aesthetic” with you into this autumn.

By now everyone knows that the “Coastal Grandmother” was the it-girl of summer 2022. The style was characterized by a very beachy, preppy aesthetic that coined its name due to its similarities to those of a classy grandmother on a beach vacation somewhere on the coast of the northeast. But as fall and winter approach, I am faced by the reality that it is October in Madison and not July in the Hamptons. But do not fear: with these six simple steps you can carry the “Coastal Grandmother Aesthetic” with you into this autumn!

1. Winter whites

One defining characteristic of the Coastal Grandmother Aesthetic is light neutral colors. This fall, let’s veto the “no white jeans after labor day” lore and fully embrace our fall and winter whites. Cream, beige, white, and neutral grays can be the perfect addition to your wardrobe this fall. This color scheme can be incorporated as pants, sweaters, jackets and even accessories. It’s time to ditch the blue jeans and black coats for some lovely winter whites!

2. BIRKENSTOCK BOSTONS

If you are also feeling sad about having to set your beloved Birks sandals aside for the fall as the temperatures start to drop, let me introduce you to the Birkenstock Bostons! These shoes are the epitome of comfort, transforming the beachy style of Birks into a closed toe shoe equipped for all seasons. Of course, they also fit perfectly into the Coastal Grandmother Aesthetic with their timeless design and light neutral colors.  

3. cable knit sweaters

Cable knit sweaters have been a closet staple since the beginning of time, but this fall more than ever these oversized navy, white, and gray chunky cable knits are in. Once again, with both style and comfort, you can absolutely kill the Coastal Grandmother look by simply throwing on a sweater and jeans. 

4. Nautical stripe sweaters

To take it a step further, invest in a classic nautical stripe summer for your fall wardrobe this season. The nautical stripe sweater is a perfect way to take the beachy boat vibes of the Coastal Grandmother Aesthetic into the fall. The cream base and navy stripes make for an incredibly timeless and preppy look, while still being cozy and practical!

5. acne studios scarf

The Acne Studios scarf has gone viral on social media over the past few months, and this scarf (or a much cheaper and equally stylish dupe) is the ideal accessory for your Coastal Grandmother fits this fall. Any chunky neutral colored scarf will immediately elevate your outfit, and to truly enrapture the coastal aesthetic, opt for this oversized sky blue checkered print scarf!

6. puffer vests

Finally, puffer vests are perfect for those days when it’s too cold to brave the elements in only a sweater, but a full parka might be a bit of an overreaction. Puffer vests also enhance the timeless look that the Coastal Grandmother strives to achieve, providing both warmth and style. Try adding a white, cream, or light blue puffer vest over your favorite sweater and pair it with some straight leg jeans for the perfect Coastal Grandmother look this fall and winter.

With these six simple steps, you too can be a Coastal Grandmother (even if, like me, you are actually a college student in Madison) this fall. These wardrobe staples will not only elevate your outfits this fall, but also match your peaceful, preppy, beachy aura that the Coastal Grandmother Aesthetic is all about!

Amelia Russell

Wisconsin '26

Hi, my name is Amelia! I am from Los Angeles, CA, but I am currently a student at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. I am studying Psychology with an interest in child development. In my free time I love to listen to music, travel, read, and, of course, write!