Culture > News

The Shooting of Daunte Wright: What You Need To Know and Why It Matters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

On April 11th, a 20 year old African American man, Daunte Wright, was shot by police during a traffic stop in Brooklyn Center, Minnesota, a suburb of the Twin Cities. Police pulled Wright over for expired tabs and for having air fresheners hanging from the rearview mirror. Police learned of an outstanding warrant for Wright’s arrest and asked him to step out of the vehicle so they could handcuff him. During this time, Wright was on the phone with his brother. Wright gets out of the car and body cam footage indicates that an officer was behind Wright trying to handcuff him. It appears as if Wright is trying to leave when officers attempt to taser him. Instead of tasering him, they shoot and kill Daunte Wright.

Crowd of protesters holding signs
Photo by Life Matters from Pexels

Daunte Wright leaves behind the mother of his child, Chyna, and 1 year old son.

Since the shooting, the officer who shot Wright, Kim Potter, and police chief, Tim Gannon, have resigned from the station following the shooting. There is an ongoing investigation into the shooting.

This tragic shooting comes at a very critical time for not only the country, but more specifically the Twin Cities community. While the trial of Derek Chauvin, the officer indicted in George Floyd’s death, takes place, the community now also has to deal with another death of a Black man at the hands of police. In response, the community has been protesting and marching for two nights. While protests have mostly remained peaceful, there was a Dollar General set on fire and graffitied buildings. These protests have been met with police resistance including curfew enforcement, tear gas and flash bangs. There was a state of emergency declared on April 12.

people at protest
Photo by Josh Hild from Pexels
The shooting of Daunte Wright is a tragedy for the Brooklyn Center, surrounding communities and the country. It’s clear that there needs to be reform in police training and the criminal justice system so that police are held responsible for their actions. The trial of Derek Chauvin now has more impact than ever following this shooting. It could bring justice to not only George Floyd’s family, but also the Daunte Wright’s family and the countless others that have been brutalized and killed by police.

black lives matter protest
Photo by Colin Lloyd from Pexels

Here are some ways you can help Daunte Wright’s family: 

• @HolisticHeaux on Instagram is collecting donations for his family which include: 

• Diapers

• 18-24 month clothes

• Shoes (size 6)

• Groceries

• Gift Cards

• Monetary Donations (Please subject “Daunte Jr”):

• Cash App: $hubby98 (Chyna’s direct Cash App)

• Venmo: @thuy-jones

• PayPal: @holisticheaux

Here are some ways to get involved in protesting and supporting racial injustices: 

Theresa Wolfe

Wisconsin '22

Theresa is a senior at the University of Wisconsin-Madison from Albert Lea, Minnesota. She is a Psychology and Social Welfare major with certificates in Criminal Justice and Italian. She enjoys listening to music, watching movies, and reading in her free time.
Kate O’Leary

Wisconsin '23

Kate is currently a senior at the University of Wisconsin Madison majoring in Biology, Psychology and Sociology. She is the proud co-president of Her Campus Wisconsin. Kate enjoys indoor cycling, spending time with friends, cheering on the Badgers and making the absolute best crepes ever!