Seven Movies and Shows to Binge Watch This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

What you need to watch this fall

Fall is the perfect time to curl up under a blanket and watch your favorite shows and movies, but if you’re anything like me, you’re probably running out of things to watch or even re-watch. Luckily, I have found the best shows and movies to help get you right into the fall spirit.

1. Twilight

At this point, the Twilight series is basically a classic. Based on the novels by Stephanie Meyer, the movies follow Bella Swan after she moves to Forks, Washington and learns to navigate her developing relationships with the vampires and werewolves around her. The movies may be cringy at times, but the gloomy Washington setting, supernatural characters, drama and romance depicted throughout the five movies make this a series you need to add to your watchlist this fall.

2. Harry Potter series

While the Harry Potter series may be originally targeted toward kids, I still think that it is the perfect fall series for any age group. As one of the most popular series ever, almost everyone has at least heard of Harry Potter, if not watched all of the movies. But, if you haven’t seen the movies yet, or if you love them as much as I do, fall is the perfect season to watch them. The movie follows students going to a school for wizards, and the magic in addition to surprisingly dark tones make this the perfect series to get you into the fall spirit.

3. Knives out

While only the original Knives Out movie has been released so far, the second installment to the franchise is coming out later this fall, which means that now is the best time to watch the original. The murder-mystery comedy is about a detective who has to work with an eccentric family in hopes of discovering who killed a wealthy, mystery novelist. If you’re looking for a lighthearted mystery to watch this season, this is a good choice. 

4. THE CHIlling adventures of sabrina

This adaptation of the iconic ‘90s series Sabrina the Teenage Witch is my personal favorite show to watch in the fall. This series follows half-witch, half-mortal Sabrina Spellman as she learns to live with her two identities. The show takes a classic coming-of-age storyline and adds magic, romance and elements of horror, making it the perfect TV series to watch this fall.

5. the midnight club

This is the show that I am most excited to see this fall. The Midnight Club is a horror series based on a novel of the same name, and it follows eight terminally ill patients who are all sent to a hospice center for young adults. Every night at midnight, the patients meet and tell scary stories, but everything is not what it seems at the hospice center. This series is also from the creator of The Haunting of Hill House, another original horror series.

6. monster: the jeffrey dahmer story

This Netflix original mini-series is based on the horrific crimes of the infamous serial killer, Jeffery Dahmer. The show is actually scary. It goes into detail about the life of Dahmer, including flashbacks to his childhood, some of his heinous crimes and his trial. This series does take a unique look at some of the crimes, as it primarily looks at the story from the point of view of some of his victims.

7. pretty little liars franchise

The Pretty Little Liars franchise may have just started off as book adaptations, but it soon turned into four different TV series all based on the same characters or similar plots. The shows follow groups of teens who are all attempting to solve the mysteries and uncover the lies that are hidden in their small towns. A second season of their newest spin-off, Pretty Little Liars: Original Sin has been confirmed, which means now is the time to watch all of the other series in the franchise in preparation for the newer content. 

Hopefully, if you were struggling to find something to watch, this list was able to give you all of the binge worthy fall content you could need, or at least enough to keep you satisfied until the next season.

Jenna Trucke

Wisconsin '24

Hi! I'm Jenna and I'm a junior at the University of Wisconsin-Madison studying Political Science and Journalism on the strategic communication track. In my free time, I like love reading good books and spending time with my friends.