This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Chances are that you have a bunch of little things–ticket stubs, letters, receipts, photos–lying around your room that you don’t know exactly what to do with. You couldn’t possibly throw these things out (oh, the memories!), but you also don’t want to be selected as the next contestant for TLC’s Hoarding: Buried Alive. How can you start to declutter your space?

Love letter with flowers
Pezibear on Pixabay

I present… the scrapbook!

There’s a reason old-school scrapbooks have resurfaced this year. Not only are they aesthetically pleasing and pleasantly time-consuming, but they also present an opportunity to find a home for all those odds and ends you haven’t had the heart to throw away just yet. If you’ve never scrapbooked before, I recommend gathering supplies first. Luckily, most of the things you’ll need are common household items!

My Scrapbooking Supply List

• 1 Scrapbook (you’ll have lots of options for color and size at your nearest craft store)

• Magazines (as many as you can find–Vogue, Cosmopolitan, Time, Bon Appétit, etc.)

• Pens and markers (I like Stabilo Fineliner Pens & Zebra Mildliner Creative Markers)

• Odds & ends: Stickers, stamps, ticket stubs, photos, letters, feathers, old ID cards, magazine perfume samples, friendship bracelets… the list goes on and on!

• Scissors, glue stick, ruler, tape

craft supplies on blue table
Photo by Joe Szczepanska from Unsplash

After I’ve gathered all my supplies, I like to sit down on the floor of my bedroom and spread them out around me in a circle. This helps me keep track of everything. Then, I flip through the magazines, cutting out quotes and recipes I want to try someday and pictures of my favorite celebrities (Harry Styles, anyone?). Once I’ve assembled a pile of magazine cut-outs, I begin laying down everything I want to include on the first page. When I’m happy with how the page is organized, I whip out my handy glue stick and tape dispenser and make my art official!

Possibly my favorite part of the whole shindig is showing off my work afterward. I call my sisters to my room and smile as they pore over my memory book, squealing at my Boy Bands collage and snickering at my photo ID picture from freshman year of high school.

Modest Entertainment via Variety

Maybe you’d prefer to keep your memory book private, though, which is totally okay. One way or another, I hope you’ll give scrapbooking a try this Thanksgiving or Christmas break. :)

Girl With Glasses Reading Book
Breanna Coon / Her Campus

Mary Hegeman

Wisconsin '24

Hi! My name is Mary. I am so excited to be a part of Her Campus this year at the University of Wisconsin-Madison! Facebook: mary.hegeman.543 Instagram: @maryyhegs22
Kate O’Leary

Wisconsin '23

Kate is currently a senior at the University of Wisconsin Madison majoring in Biology, Psychology and Sociology. She is the proud co-president of Her Campus Wisconsin. Kate enjoys indoor cycling, spending time with friends, cheering on the Badgers and making the absolute best crepes ever!