sorority advice?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sorority advice?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer / 20th Century Studios
Life > Experiences

Rushing a Sorority as a Sophomore

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Is it even worth it?

As the end of freshman year came to a close, the lingering idea of rushing a sorority became more prominent. The idea stayed in my brain as summer continued, and when I moved into my apartment in August, I made a last second decision to sign up for primary recruitment.

I went into the process knowing very little about the houses and recruitment as a whole. While I typically enjoy knowing every last detail of things before I jump into something, I liked going into the rush process with little bias towards houses. I wanted to be able to base my opinions on my feelings rather than campus stereotypes.  

Nothing about the process seems simple. Every element seems overwhelming and like the biggest deal in the world. There are dress codes, detailed schedules, and unknown terminology. The days and weeks can be long and tiring. There are times where you are standing in heels and a dress at 9:45 p.m. on a Friday and you ask yourself, “Is it even worth it?”  

I asked myself this question as I yawned after lengthy rounds of talking to girls and full days of classes. As draining as the process can be, it does a great job of creating a community. Walking between houses with other possible new members, discussing our long days and talking about our desire for the stress and anxiety to be over brought me closer to a group of people I likely would never have gotten to know otherwise.   

There were times when being a sophomore made me feel somewhat out of place. Questions of “What dorm are you living in?” occasionally made me feel like I shouldn’t be rushing as a sophomore. The possible regret of never trying the process mixed with the many great girls I met in the houses and while waiting in line drowned that feeling out.

Rushing as a sophomore gave me a sense of calm and relief that I do not believe I would have had as a freshman. Looking back on my freshman year, I smile because of the amazing friends I made and the wonderful experiences I had every day. I knew that no matter how the recruitment process went, I would still be happy.

I would be happy because I’d still have the great friends I made last year, as well as the many new friends I made waiting around outside of the houses. I was fortunate enough to make it to the end of the rush process and was met with 68 new friends in my pledge class as well as a whole new community of girls in the house.

The recruitment process is tough to move through no matter your year in school, but it is a process I am so happy I ended up trying.

Beth Shoop

Wisconsin '25

Hi, my name is Beth! I am from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, but I am currently a Junior at UW Madison studying Journalism, specifically Reporting and Strategic Communication! I hope you enjoy reading about my experiences, interests, and newfound knowledge!