Review: Hamilton Mixtape

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

As if Hamilton could somehow get better, Lin-Manuel Miranda went and released an entire mixtape based on the incredible songs featured in the Tony-winning musical. When Miranda wrote the musical, he planned to bring modern-day issues into the past and show the ways in which America went through 21st century struggles long before the 21st century. The mixtape does a pretty amazing job taking the songs and feelings from the Hamilton soundtrack and relates them back to modern-day issues. Miranda has done it again— so props to him.

The mixtape features collaborations with unexpected artists, and it’s totally incredible. By having singers like Kelly Clarkson, Ashanti, and Busta Rhymes on the mixtape, it appeals to every type of music listener. The mixtape slightly (and positively) differs from the musical soundtrack, but you don’t have to be into hip-hop or rap to love the mixtape.

Every song in the mixtape has a slight twist to it; so while the songs may be similar, it’s a whole new experience. In the original musical soundtrack, the songs flow smoothly from one to the other. That flow is what makes the musical so emotionally raw and addicting to listen to. However, that same emotion also makes it difficult to listen to the catchy tunes in casual settings. It’s dead-near impossible to listen to the musical version while doing homework or relaxing because it will make you tear up. The mixtape seems to resolve that issue, though— but it’s also less memorable.

In my personal opinion, some of the songs in the mixtape have a stronger effect than the musical soundtrack. For example, Audra Day’s take on “Burn” is downright astounding. Her raspy voice and killer notes depict Eliza Schuyler as a strong-willed and independent woman instead of merely a sweet yet submissive housewife. Also, the mixtape completely redefines the famous song “Helpless”. Ashanti and Ja Rule’s version sound as though the song was originally meant for them and not the musical. The slight 1990s influence on the song instills nostalgia in its listeners, which definitely was not an influence present in the original soundtrack. It’s slightly harder for 90s kids to relate back to events from the 1790s, so the mixtape definitely wins in that aspect.

Another great thing about the mixtape is that it includes tracks that the musical soundtrack didn’t feature. “Congratulations,” Angelica’s killer response to the publication of the Reynolds Pamphlet, is hands-down one of the best songs on the mixtape. Dessa conveys the thoughts that America had when Alexander Hamilton decided to publicly publish his affair to prevent treason accusations from the public. I mean, come on, who would think that’s a good idea? Angelica said what we were all thinking; and boy, does the truth hurt.

While the musical will go down in history for record-breaking Tony nominations and box office records, the mixtape will be remembered for connecting the present to the past (and maybe even into the future). Regardless of your musical preference, it’s incredible to witness the legacy of a founding father even over 200 years after his death. Alexander Hamilton’s real-life obsession with legacy is mentioned numerous times in the soundtrack and mixtape. He said at one point, “I wanna build something that’s gonna outlive me.” In that case, congratulations Alexander, because your legacy lives on in 2016 (and likely for much longer).

Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!