This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Let’s face it: Tik Tok is full of amazing art, fashion and food inspiration. I have spent way too much time this quarantine trying out Tik Tok trends for myself. However, one of the more beneficial Tik Tok trends, in my humble opinion, is the Chloe Ting 2 Week Shred. This is a free online program basically just full of Youtube videos. For the last two weeks, I spent 20-40 minutes on a grind. Here are some of the things I learned:

Everything begins and ends in your mind.

This has been a favorite quote of mine since middle school, but it proves especially true in the pursuit of gain through physical pain. Your mind has way more power over your body than you think. Even when you think there is no way I can workout for one day much less fourteen, you can surprise yourself. You have to maintain a really strong “why” in order for this to work. It doesn’t matter if your “why” is losing weight, toning your abs or improving your sleep schedule, you just have to evaluate your motivations and choose one that will keep you going. For me, my “why” was simply: to prove that I can. One of my biggest issues in all realms of life is getting in my own way with my anxious, negative thoughts. My motivation for moving everyday this quarantine was just to prove to myself that I can, or to prove to myself that everything begins and ends in your mind with your attitude.

Listen to your body.

Chloe explicitly notes that every person is completely different and should thus listen to their body’s needs. This can be a difficult task, though. In challenging myself, I often forget that I am the only one who holds myself accountable. About ten days in, I found myself in a totally negative place. My body was tired and achy, and I didn’t feel motivated to work out at all. I ended up crying and telling myself that I failed. Why? I couldn’t tell you. The most important part of working out is being kind to your body. My body was telling me that it needed a break, and after not working out daily for months, my body deserved that break. As amazing as it can be to challenge yourself and push your limits, your health and well-being is more important than anything else. Give yourself an extra day off! It’ll make tomorrow much easier.

Start with yoga

The best part of the shred for me was the yoga that I practiced before and after each workout. As a beginner yogi, I would just put on a calm morning flow from Yoga with Adrienne on Youtube. Yoga teaches you to connect with your body and feel the earth below you. It helps slow you down, putting you in a better mental state to conquer the tough workout to come. Yoga also stretches you out, making your exercises easier and decreasing your risk of injury. My mornings and my workouts were so much better when I implemented yoga into the routine.

Working out is just half the battle.

Working out and moving your body in general is amazing. Period. However, if you have specific goals- like being more productive, losing weight, toning your muscles, getting stronger, being happier, sleeping better- then working out is only half the battle. Eating healthy food that your body needs, drinking water, finding a routine, reading books, smiling, and socializing are other important factors that will yield your results. Make sure to implement many healthy habits rather than expecting working out for 14 days to change your life. It can, and it will, but you have to dedicate time and energy after those 14 days toward reaching your goals.

All you need is your yoga mat and a positive attitude, and I promise, in the words of Chloe Ting herself, you will “Smash it!” 

P.S. Remember it is not about the weight or the abs. Maybe just a little, but it’s about your health and your happiness. Try it- I dare you!

Sarah McLeod

Wisconsin '22

Sarah is currently studying English, Psychology and Gender & Women's studies at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Wisconsin born and raised, she loves reading, coffee and spending time with her friends and family.