This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

I recently turned 20 years old and I never thought too much about getting older until everyone around me kept talking about the next big decade of my life. I have, however, been thinking about the past 10 years, which is the first decade in my life I will completely remember. I’m certainly still not the wisest at only 20, but I’ve had my fair share of life lessons.

Number 20 gold balloons
Photo by Matthew Ball from Unsplash

Throughout my teens, I’ve struggled with finding a “friend group”. In high school, it felt like this was all everyone talked about and frankly, I cared less then than I do now about such artificial things because I knew I would branch out once I left my small suburban bubble. In college now, I’m still less concerned with the idea of having the same friend group that hangs out together all the time, but am more focused on the quality of my friendships. Finding people in my life to not only go out with, but that I can rely on to help me through rough days has been harder than I expected, especially since over half of my time in college now has been during the COVID-19 pandemic. I cherish the friends that have continued to check up on me in times of need and I can recognize a fake friend in an instant.

Most of my time and energy is typically spent somehow affecting someone else’s life. So respectively, I have analyzed my social interactions to a great extent. A goal I’ve been working on for years is to be more present, especially in conversations. Truly listening to what others have to say without only thinking about how you’re going to respond is so valuable. At the same time, advocating for myself is a trait I did not develop much in high school and has proven to be one of my greatest flaws as sometimes I let people step all over me without standing up for my worth.

Three women talking with flowers
Photo by Priscilla Du Preez from Unsplash
A large part of my self-realizations have focused on how much I allow myself to care about what society thinks. Simply telling someone to not care does next to nothing, but even as I gain confidence in my decisions and actions, I noticed nearly everything I do is rooted in some societal norm. I’ve tried to differentiate between what I internally want and what society makes me think I want. Everything in our society and culture is marketed precisely so you’re constantly craving something and not thinking twice about it, but I want to focus my energy on things that give my life meaning and value.

Something that’s made me stop questioning myself so much is to no longer use labels to try to describe my personality traits because it can be constraining. As much as I loved taking personality tests for fun, it was frustrating to figure out if I was an extrovert, introvert, or ambivert. In reality, defining such traits doesn’t necessarily help figure yourself out because we all feel and act differently depending on the day. You can imagine how much I hate icebreakers and introductions where I have to describe myself in a mere few sentences.

Another major defining reflection of my teens was self-care: learning about it and how it applied to myself. The conclusion I’ve come across time and time again is that it’s a constant journey of exploring your interests and taking care of yourself even on days when it’s hard. It’s not just random bursts of face masks and shopping sprees, but rather using your own love language to love yourself. For me, setting a routine helps make my days feel less stressful on a consistent basis. Taking care of yourself properly might feel like a chore, but it’ll help make your life something you don’t feel like you need to take a vacation from.

a woman stands over the stove cutting an herb out of a pot on the window sill with a pair of scissors. there are pans of pasta stirfry on the burner.
Tina Dawson | Unsplash
I read once that while most people say your 20s are the best time of your life, it really is the time of figuring out your interests and learning how to love yourself in a way you’ve never had time for before. I know a lot of people might be bummed out about growing older and having more responsibilities, but I’m more excited than stressed for the future. My 20s are a time that I for one have not planned out extensively, so I’m simply curious to see where life takes me. I definitely still have a lot to learn about the world, but I know “finding myself” is an ever-changing concept as I age.

Soumika is a sophomore at the University of Wisconsin-Madison studying zoology and environmental studies on a pre-veterinary track. She loves reading, hiking, and adventuring with friends when she's not busy studying or cuddling with animals.
Kate O’Leary

Wisconsin '23

Kate is currently a senior at the University of Wisconsin Madison majoring in Biology, Psychology and Sociology. She is the proud co-president of Her Campus Wisconsin. Kate enjoys indoor cycling, spending time with friends, cheering on the Badgers and making the absolute best crepes ever!