This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

In our attempt to be conscious consumers and good citizens, we actively try (or should try!) to recycle what we can and reduce our use of disposable products. I myself have tried to make effective lifestyle changes to reduce my waste, but recently, I’ve also realized the importance of educating myself on the latest industry changes. So, here are some of my latest research finds and some tips on how to make long-term changes to your consumer habits.

Latest numbers show that about 91% of plastic is not recycled (Lu, 2018). Sadly, much of the plastic that we dump into our recycling cans still end up in a landfill or the ocean – about 8 million metric tons get poured into the ocean each year. Much of this ocean plastic (about 60%) is due to mismanaged landfills in countries like China and other Asian-Pacific countries. Part of being an efficient consumer is understanding the magnitude of this ineffective recycling system. Simply placing your plastic items in your bin has unfortunately been rendered ineffective. So what are some industry changes being done to handle this, and how can you do your part?

Closed-loop recycling is essentially a production process that collects post-consumer waste and uses it to make new products. This type of system is most common in specialized industries that focus on batteries and computers, but can also be found when producing plastic products. Most notably, larger grocery store chains and some smaller retailers will accept any plastic bags to be recycled (which everyone should do because these bags cannot be placed in your regular recycling bin at home!). As important as it is for companies to begin using closed-loop recycling, it’s just as important that consumers actively begin to purchase these products and support the companies that have taken steps to work towards a waste-free world.

On a side note, about 90% of metals actually get recycled and reused for a different purpose, so keep those cans and glass bottles in your recycling bins! However, let me remind you of the phrase “Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.” At a recent panel I attended through UW-Madison, I was reminded of the importance of focusing on all three of those words, not just the last R.

The first step is to actively try and reduce your use of disposable products. Purchase a reusable straw (a cheap option can be found at Peet’s coffee on campus with zero packaging, or you can find many style options on Amazon for $7-12), use reusable shopping bags, and always carry around a reusable water bottle. Try brewing tea or coffee in a larger metal tumbler in the morning, and then repurpose that for water throughout the day. These simple changes – among many other possibilities – will have you actively creating less waste. Once you begin thinking about what you use every day, it becomes quite obvious what needs to be changed.

Next, reuse whatever you can. I understand it’s nearly impossible to live a completely waste-free lifestyle, however, some of the items we purchase can be reused for other purposes. For example, your store-bought glass bottles can be reused to brew your own iced tea or kombucha, or even used to store your grains or other foods that can be bought in bulk.

Lastly, recycle everything you can. Regardless of the actual statistics, educate yourself on what can and cannot be recycled, and take active steps to bring your plastic bags, batteries, etc. to an effective recycling center. Look out for the Earth, because if we don’t, who will?

References:

Lu, C. (2018, July 18). The truth about recycling plastic. Retrieved from https://mitte.co/2018/07/18/truth-recycling-plastic/.

https://www.amazon.com/Klean-Kanteen-Straws-Bottle-Stainless/dp/B01N4WXHA2?creativeASIN=B01N4WXHA2&linkCode=w61&imprToken=rafEO..rsDt–sxiKJtekw&slotNum=8&ascsubtag=%5B%5Dst%5Bp%5Dcjjiwnuj7001ovay6yse7vbl1%5Bi%5D3WOUoq%5Bd%5DD%5Bz%5Dm%5Bt%5Dw%5Br%5Dgoogle.com&tag=thestrategistsite-20&th=1&psc=1

Anna Sumpter

Wisconsin '20

Anna is studying Operations Technology Management and Marketing, with a certificate in Supply Chain Management at the University of Wisconsin – Madison. When not studying, she can be found with kombucha in hand, practicing yoga and staying involved with many organizations. She also loves traveling to new places and hanging out with friends and family.
Hannah, originally from Milwaukee, WI is a Campus Correspondent for HC Wisconsin.  Hannah is a Senior and is studying Political Science and Psychology.  She aspires to work in health policy and will run for office one day.  She is never seen without a cup of coffee in hand and loves to eat any food in sight, especially sushi.  Outside of school, Hannah frequents Badger sporting events and likes to hang out with her friends on the weekends finding new things to do and new places to eat.  Hannah also runs her own Mary Kay business and is obsessed with keeping up with the latest makeup trends! This will be her seventh semester on the Her Campus team, and she loves the org more and more each semester!  It is Hannah's favorite thing that she is involved in on campus and highly recommends anyone with an interest in writing, journalism, or blogging to get involved, you won't regret it! On Wisconsin!!