Reasons We Look Forward to Thanksgiving Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Thanksgiving is the best holiday of the year, hands down. You are able to eat as much as you want without feeling guilty, get to spend quality time with your family, and have a little break from your crazy life at school. Every year, there are eight main reasons we look forward to Thanksgiving break.

1. The Food

Mashed potatoes, stuffing, turkey…need I say more? Oh, and let’s not forget about all of the delicious pies!

2. Your Family

After being away for a couple of months at school, it always feels good to go home and see your family. You’ve missed them, and they have also missed you. You are given the perfect amount of time to catch up without feeling like you are living at home again.

3. Catching Up with Friends

This is the first time of the year when all of your childhood friends are back in your hometown again. A lot of crazy things have gone down in only the first two and a half months of school, and everyone cannot wait to share their stories.

4.Your Bed

Nothing feels better than sleeping in your own bed, in your own home, without a bunch of noisy neighbors who keep you up way too late on week nights. Also, despite how much we may love (or hate) our roommates, it feels so good to not have to share a room for a couple of days.

5. Black Friday

Shop till you drop, am I right? It feels as though you have just finished eating, and right away it is time to stand in those long Black Friday lines with your mom/sister/friends. You have your plan of attack and are ready to score on some amazing deals. What is Thanksgiving anyhow without a little retail therapy?

6. A Break from Classes

Okay, so we only have Thursday and Friday off, but still that’s two whole days of not having class. Thank you Thanksgiving break!

7. The Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade

You watched it as a child, and now it has just become a tradition. Though the parade can get a little long and repetitive, you still watch every year to see Snoopy fly over the New York streets and for Santa to welcome in Christmas.

8. Thanksgiving Football

Great food, great company, and great football. Football on Thanksgiving makes us all too happy, even if the Packers are not playing.

We ate too much and cannot wait to do it all over again next year. It always goes by too fast, but soon it will be Christmas and then New Years. So while it makes us sad to see Thanksgiving go, we cannot wait for the upcoming holidays.

I am a senior at the greatest university— the University of Wisconsin. I am in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication, double tracking in reporting and strategic communications and earning a certificate in and Digital Studies. I am a lover of dance, hiking, writing for Her Campus, the Badgers and strawberry acais. I am also a president of Her Campus Wisconsin.
Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!