Gilmore Girls walking through Fall Festival
Warner Bros. Television

Rating Rory Gilmore’s Boyfriends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Why I love (or hate) the men of Gilmore Girls

There are three men that come and go in Rory Gilmore’s life, all of which have their flaws (some bigger than others). Here I will list the pros and cons of each of Rory’s boyfriends, and then rank them overall. 

1. Dean Forester

Pros: Let’s be real… he is pretty easy on the eyes. But, that’s about it. 

Cons: Well, he did tell Rory he wants his wife to have dinner ready for him, then he got angry with her for not saying ‘I love you’ back, and then he cheated on his wife.

2. Jess Mariano

Pros: He’s got that bad boy attitude that every good girl has to fall for at least once, he reads, and he fights for Rory until he gets her. Overall, he is a pretty sweet guy.

Cons: He’s flakey, shown by him having Rory wait by the phone for a call from him. He did up-and-leave without saying goodbye, which is pretty douchey of him. Jess is pretty unreliable, which is also not a great trait in a boyfriend.

3. Logan Huntzberger

Pros: He’s smart, and pushes Rory to do her best. He calls her out when she is out of line. He is romantic and definitely charming. He also loves Rory through an unfortunate time (DAR moment). 

Cons: He wasn’t the greatest from the start and he can be extremely immature. 

Here is my overall ranking: Logan, Jess, Dean. Hear me out: Logan is the only one who Rory could really have a future with. Jess is too unstable to commit and Dean just isn’t a good person. With Logan, Rory can plan a future where she knows she will be loved and happy. I think Logan is kind, funny, reliable and loving, all of which make him the best boyfriend on Gilmore Girls

Mckenna Laurent

Wisconsin '25

Mckenna is a Junior at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. She is studying English literature. Along with being a section editor for Her Campus, she is a Senior Coordinator for the University Tutoring Service. Mckenna loves reading, baking, and watching New Girl!