This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

If you’ve been on TikTok at all during quarantine, you’ve most likely seen videos about skincare. The TikTok account @skincarebyhyram became really popular over the summer for skincare product recommendations. As someone who has struggled with cystic acne for many years, I was skeptical about the products that were being recommended. I have tried so many products over the years that have been popular and trending and none of them seem to work on my skin type. After seeing my “For You” page filled with these skincare recommendations, I decided to try some products, and I was pleasantly surprised. 

The Ordinary Products

This was the first big TikTok trend I ever tried. I went all in and bought the Niacinamide, AHA + BHA Peeling Mask, Rose Hip Seed Oil, HA Moisturizer and the Glycolic Acid Toner. I used their regime tool on their website to create a whole routine since their products are inexpensive and available at Ulta. I had heard about the Niacinamide and the AHA/BHA mask from the TikTok account @skincarebyhyram. I honestly loved these products and I think they really work if you use them consistently. They help a lot with new acne and acne scars. I love that the products are a good size, easy to find and inexpensive. 10/10.

Tree Hut Sugar Scrub

This was impossible to find! It’s a sugar scrub that comes in many different scents and is available at stores like Target and Walgreens. It was about $8 at Walmart which was a little more expensive, but it is a big container. I tried the Tahitian Vanilla Bean scent. I love the texture of this product and it leaves my skin feeling very exfoliated. It also smells very good. The only downside is that it was sold out everywhere. 9/10. 

Cerave Products

I had used Cerave in the past due to recommendations by friends and my dermatologists, but I recently tried it again because of TikTok. I’ve always loved their moisturizer and consider it a staple, but I also recently tried their Retinol Cleansing Serum. It was expensive and also sold out everywhere. It was about $20 and I found it at Target. It works super well. I’ve only been using it for a few weeks, and it has already cleared up a lot of my acne scars. Retinol is a pretty strong product, so I’ve only been using it twice a week so my skin can get used to it. 10/10

Jade Rolling

I bought a jade roller about a year ago but was not a fan of it. I thought it felt cool on my skin, but I feel like it did not do anything. Due to its popularity on TikTok, I decided to try it again. I jade roll every night before bed after I put on my skincare. I feel like it helps my skincare absorb into my skin and feels like a nice massage. I’m honestly not sure if it actually works though or if it’s just psychological, but I’m still going to use mine. 6/10.

Acne Spots

I love this product. I started out trying the Mighty Patch brand but they were a bit expensive for someone with cystic acne who had to use them often. I decided to try the hydrocolloid bandages instead after seeing them on TikTok and seeing that they were cheaper. I put them on my acne overnight and pull them off in the morning. It’s the same satisfaction of pulling off a pore strip, except these actually work and on all kinds of acne. I will be adding these full-time into my skincare routine. 9/10.

Everyone’s skin is different and what worked for me might not work for you. Doing research before buying a new product is always a good idea. It also may be worth it to contact your dermatologist if you have one to see if they would recommend it. Overall, these products were super fun to try and it was interesting to compare my results with others on TikTok! 

Courtney Shady

Wisconsin '23

Courtney is a senior at the University of Wisconsin-Madison studying psychology, education, and gender and women’s studies. She is from the suburbs of Milwaukee. In her free time, she enjoys drinking coffee, going to concerts, and loves hanging out with friends.
Kate O’Leary

Wisconsin '23

Kate is currently a senior at the University of Wisconsin Madison majoring in Biology, Psychology and Sociology. She is the proud co-president of Her Campus Wisconsin. Kate enjoys indoor cycling, spending time with friends, cheering on the Badgers and making the absolute best crepes ever!