This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

a new pop princess has emerged and is taking the music world by storm

In the early 2000s, we were graced with some of the best pop stars of our time. Think Britney Spears, Rihanna, Beyoncé, Christina Aguilera… Possessing the lethal combination of being able to both sing and dance, these women have stood the test of time. Many will agree that anyone even coming close to comparing to them is not an easy feat. However, it seems as though pop music may have just found its new It Girl. 

Introducing Tate McRae, the 20-year-old Canadian singer-songwriter and dancer out of Calgary, Alberta. Despite her young age, she has already made waves in the music and dance industry. In 2016, she first stepped into the limelight as a finalist on the dance competition show, “So You Think You Can Dance”. She also performed on “The Ellen DeGeneres Show” multiple times that year and on the Calgary stop of Justin Bieber’s “Purpose World Tour”. 

By 2017, McRae began to focus more on her music. On her YouTube channel, she started a series called “Create with Tate” where she would showcase original songs filmed from her bedroom. Many of these songs went viral, and her fanbase began to grow rapidly. In 2019, she signed with RCA Records and released her first EP, “All the Things I Never Said”. Her second EP, “TOO YOUNG TO BE SAD”, was released the following year, and the lead single “You Broke Me First” was her first taste of international success. It charted in the top 10 of 11 countries. The music video was filmed on an iPhone by her friends. The shots simply consisted of her walking through the streets of Calgary. She was only 16 and still in high school at the time.

In the three years since, McRae has been finding her voice, sound and vision. She released her first album, “i used to think i could fly”, in 2022 featuring hits like “she’s all i wanna be” and “don’t come back”. She has also collaborated with Khalid, Troye Sivan, Tiesto and Blackbear. This year, however, seems to have been her big break into the mainstream. Her single “Greedy”, written alongside One Republic’s song writing wiz, Ryan Tedder, blew up on TikTok and has been charting since its release, currently sitting at no. 1 on Spotify’s Global Top Songs and at no. 8 on Billboard’s Hot 100. She told Billboard that she was nervous to put the song out after an 11-month hiatus, but the shift in sound and incorporation of her dancing talent within the music video filmed at a hockey rink has been wildly successful. 

Her new song, “exes”, is also getting a similar reception. The music video has hints of Christina Aguilera’s “Dirrty” thanks to the dance sequence in a boxing ring. The fun, catchy lyrics continue the pivot from some of her prior emotional ballads. Using a similar song and music video formula to “Greedy” is proving to work like a treat for her.

Recently, she appeared on SNL, where she sang “Greedy” and “Grave”, a new unreleased track from her next album “THINK LATER” being released on December 8th. It is safe to say that she is ending an incredible year on a high. Up next is a 54-date world tour, kicking off in April 2024. Expect flawless vocals and incredible dance moves from her and her dancers. At only 20, the sky’s the limit for her. While she is getting comparisons to Britney Spears, the singing and dancing talent is there, and her loyal fanbase is doing a great job of supporting her. It is certainly a possibility that she can achieve similar success.

Tate McRae’s new era is here, and she is ready to continue topping the charts in the pursuit of joining pop princess royalty.

Amélie Mahony

Wisconsin '24

Hi! I'm Amélie and I'm a first-year grad student at UW Madison studying Journalism & Mass Communications. I recently finished my Sociology & Communications undergrad in my home country, Ireland. I also studied abroad at UConn and was a part of their Her Campus chapter. It is where I found my passion for writing and decided I wanted to be an entertainment journalist. I love all things celebrity gossip, reality TV, music and a good romance novel.