Planners You Need for 2017

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

As each year begins I always tend to have one of the same New Year’s resolutions: get organized. A lot of people also have this goal in mind, but is it really plausible? It can be really difficult to follow through at times so one way to kickstart your resolution of organization is through stationery items. They can give you a sense of accomplishment, especially the planner. They are definitely an essential for 2017!

Basic Planners

If you’re a newbie, minimalist, or you just want to pick up a planner without fussing over details, then I would suggest a basic one. You can buy solid-colored planners in various sizes from many price points, however the one featured above is from Target ($11). They even sometimes sell planners at dollar stores, so keep your eyes out and you can easily find a basic planner.

Pretty Planners

Typically as you increase the price, more patterns and colors become available. Sometimes these “luxury” planners really are worth the price – having something a little more fun is motivating! The planners pictured above are called the Graceful Garden Planners ($34) from Anthropologie, but you can also find patterned planners from places like Target, Walmart, Office Depot, Staples, and TJ Maxx.

Ultra-organized Planners

Do you want to organize your whole life in your planner? Try one like above, the Happiness Planner ($56). This planner has all the usual lines for you to write school assignments, chores, and your work schedule. However, it goes above and beyond with sections to write your goals and question prompts that guide you to a more positive mindset. Other similar planners include the Passion Planner ($30) and the Hustle Planner ($60).

Bullet Journals

Sometimes you just can’t find a decent planner at the store. If you’re feeling extra creative, and have a bit of free time, bullet journals can be great. Take any blank notebook you have or pick up a cheap planner and deck it out in any way you want! YouTube has a ton of awesome tutorials if you need inspiration.

Online Options

Sometimes the most convenient way to stay organized is with an online tool – you can literally have your planner in your pocket at nearly all times! There are many different websites and apps out there, such as MyHomework, but you can also use a Google calendar, create a Word Document, or start a spreadsheet.

UW-Madison Student Planners

Want to exude school spirit whenever you take out your planner? Most schools have their own version of a planner. University of Wisconsin’s planner features Bucky, Terrace chairs, and Bascom on its cover and the inside is already marked with important academic dates. You can pick this planner up from the bookstore for just $10.

Even if you have no intention of following through on your New Year’s resolutions, take the time to go buy or make yourself a planner. They really can help give you a feeling of “I’ve got this!”. It’s also never too late in the year to get one and start on your journey to organization.  

Chloe Billstrom

Wisconsin '20

A junior studying Sociology, Spanish, and Global Health who also has a love for writing and languages.
Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!