Phoenix Melvin: Tangled Up in Blue Singer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Often times while singing in the shower I think to myself, “I should really try out for American Idol. Or maybe even try for a record deal!” Funny how as soon as I step out, my dreams come crashing to the floor. The same thing seems to happen while I’m driving. I feel like a rock star singing to my iPod until I turn down the volume, or come to the inevitable stoplight where everyone stares at me. Not the ideal audience. Some people, unlike me, are gifted with the ability to sing in all different types of scenarios. Take Phoenix Melvin for example.

What is your major?
I am a Music Education Major, voice specifically.

You’re involved in a group called Tangled Up in Blue. Can you tell us a little bit about it?
Tangled Up in Blue is Wisconsin’s Premier Woman’s A Capella group. We have been here on campus for 13 years now. The group has 17 members and we write our own arrangements to songs we love for 4-part harmony. We perform all over campus for different charity events or our own shows and sometimes we travel off campus for different a capella competitions or to sing at other schools.

What is your favorite type of music? Any favorite artists that inspire you?
My favorite type of music would have to be alternative/indie rock. My favorite artists are Vampire Weekend, Marina and the Diamonds, Deerhunter, Lykke Li, The Shins, and of course Sufjan Stevens. He definitely inspires me more than any other artist today because he is an amazing musician and song-writer. He plays more than 10 instruments and has written over 150 songs in the last 9 years.

What kinds of songs do you sing in Tangled Up in Blue?
In Tangled, we sing a lot of singer/songwriter-pop, for example, ‘Breakable’ by Ingrid Michaelson or ‘Never Let Me Go’ by Florence and the Machine.

How long have you been singing?
I’ve been singing since I could talk and have been in multiple different choirs since then (private and school choirs). In high school I did a lot of competitions and ended up going to State my senior year. Last year, I was involved in Humorology, which is a student organization within the greek community. It’s basically a big musical competition between pairs of sororities and fraternities; it was so much fun!

Are you interested in writing your own music?
I am interested in writing my own music, but I haven’t quite had the time to sit down and actually start things. I have a few ideas though…

Do you play any intruments?
I played Oboe and English Horn from 5th grade to my Senior year of High School. I also have been playing piano since I was 5.

If you could collaborate with any musician who would it be? Dead or alive?
Elvis Presley, Amy Winehouse, or Sufjan Stevens.

If you could leave today and could go anywhere in the world where would you go? (via Conrad Gudmundson)
Italy. Hopefully, I will be able to study abroad there!

Come up with a question for a future Campus Celebrity. Be Creative!
What are your goals for the near or distant future?

Tricia Fishbune is a sophomore at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. She plans on majoring in Communication Arts, and eventually wants to work in the entertainment industry in either journalism or public relations. Aside from writing, she loves to hang out with friends, meet new people, travel, exercise, and try new things. 
Becca Bahrke is a junior at the University of Wisconsin- Madison majoring in Retailing and minoring in Entrepreneurship and Gender & Women Studies. Becca is currently the CC/EIC of Her Campus- Wisconsin, and will continue writing news. Becca's primary hobby is blogging on her tumblr http://beccahasnothingtowear.tumblr.com