This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

In the past few years here at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, Facilities Planning and Management (FPM), alongside the Associated Students of Madison, has been working towards providing free menstrual products within campus buildings, lecture halls, etc. Many buildings so far have implemented this free product system, but we still have a ways to go to provide to as many students that need them as possible. 

Despite the growth needed, menstrual product users at UW-Madison are in a place of privilege in comparison to our neighboring campuses. Universities like University of Minnesota-Twin Cities are still not given access to free products at all. Many students within UM have been working towards making a change, with the help of PERIOD The Menstrual Movement, a non-profit organization that works towards ending period poverty through service, advocacy and education. This past week, I reached out to Samantha Holtz, a sophomore at UM and the president of the university’s PERIOD chapter, to discuss her involvement within the movement and to discover how UW students can help work towards the goal of free menstrual products for students in Twin Cities.

“I have currently been involved with PERIOD for a year now, and it has been one of the most fulfilling, challenging, eye-opening and empowering experiences of my life” Holtz said. “Menstruation, menstrual equity, period poverty and menstrual health are all topics that are shoved under the rug within our society despite the fact that over half of the world’s population menstruates at some point in their lives, and none of us would be here without the menstrual cycle.” 

The PERIOD chapter within UM recently held a pizza party event in the main plaza of the Twin Cities campus on October 2nd. Holtz described the party as a fair-style event “complete with booths from PERIOD, Planned Parenthood, Students for Reproductive Freedom and the National Council of Jewish Women MN, yard games, music, and free donuts! This event is designed to draw in folks who may not seek out information about menstruation or may even avoid it – we are looking to place the conversation about menstruation in a very public light and bring it into the center of our campus.”

Events similar to the pizza party fair are constantly being held around the Twin Cities campus. If you’re interested in being a part of these events, there is an upcoming rally hosted by PERIOD on Saturday, October 19th in front of Northrop Plaza on the Twin Cities campus. The main goals of these rallies are to push to repeal the tampon tax still remaining in 35 of the 50 states and to bring free, clean period products to all public school restrooms, prisons and shelters within the states. Holtz is the Lead Rally Organizer of Minnesota’s rally and is working with many co-hosts, such as Planned Parenthood, Women’s March MN and a handful of other organizations to put on an inclusive, exciting day! The rally in Minnesota is one of many rallies taking place throughout the nation in all 50 states on the 19th. If you are unable to make your way over to the UM campus for the rally and would like to learn more about Madison’s rally  or any state’s rally, for that matter – you can find more information on PERIOD’s website under the “National Period Day” section.

At UW-Madison, we are lucky to be one of the campuses that provides free menstrual products. In this position of privilege, we are offered the opportunity to speak up for campuses and schools that are less fortunate than us. Help join the fight for free menstrual products for schools around the nation by becoming involved in the PERIOD movement near you and supporting the movements occurring throughout the country! 

“I am so proud of everything PERIOD at the University of Minnesota does. This group is so service and advocacy focused, and it is one of the most inclusive spaces I have ever been apart of. I am constantly inspired by those around me to continue fighting to end period poverty.” – Samantha Holtz

Want to learn more? Here’s additional information and links: PERIOD Movement website: https://www.period.org Holtz’s social media & contact info: https://www.instagram.com/sammy.holtz/ | holtz197@umn.edu

Hello! I'm Katarina Wickman, undergraduate student in the class of 2023 at UW-Madison. 2019 will mark my first year as a member of HER Campus! I plan on majoring in Journalism with a potential certificate in Gender & Women Studies. If you would like to get in touch with me for any reason, feel free to contact me via social media!
I am a senior at the greatest university— the University of Wisconsin. I am in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication, double tracking in reporting and strategic communications and earning a certificate in and Digital Studies. I am a lover of dance, hiking, writing for Her Campus, the Badgers and strawberry acais. I am also a president of Her Campus Wisconsin.