An Open Letter to Shonda Rhimes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

WARNING: SPOILER ALERT!

Dearest Shonda Rhimes,

Shonda, Shonda, Shonda.  With Season Twelve of Grey’s Anatomy coming up, all Grey’s fans, including myself, are hoping we could go back to the good ol’ days when everyone was an excited and scared intern ready for their first day at Seattle Grace.  Back when everyone was alive, and we didn’t have a reason to be mad at you yet.

That all quickly faded in the first season with the losses of patients we had grown to love and the loss of love stories that made us believe in love again.  The second season wasn’t much better (dare I mention Denny?).  For very valid reasons, seeing Izzie wearing a prom dress and clutching Denny’s body reduced me to a puddle of emotion and tears – not to mention the fact that the classic 2000s sad anthem (aka “Chasing Cars” by Snow Patrol) was playing throughout the scene.

But we still didn’t know what you had up your sleeve until the dreaded fifth season.  From Izzie’s cancer and the return of Alex and Izzie’s relationship (Azzie? Izzex?) to the death of my dear friend, George O’Malley, I needed to take a serious break after the first episode of Season Six.  I needed to reflect on why I enjoyed torturing myself by watching this show.

You could have stopped there, but no.  We had to watch helplessly while characters we loved were also killed off, leaving many fans severely emotionally distraught as they said goodbye to more of the Grey’s family.  Really, Shonda, the plane crash?  Losing Denny and George were hard, but McSteamy? 

No one was prepared for the eleventh season.  Didn’t you see how Twitter literally exploded in tweets of fans reacting to Derek Shepherd’s untimely death at the end of the season?

Some fans even started a petition to bring the beloved McDreamy back, but you ignored our requests, and we had to watch Meredith make the heartbreaking decision to take her soul mate off of life support.

So Shonda, I know you enjoy watching us suffer, but please, please give us a break this season.  You could even make it up to us by having Meredith waking up on her couch the morning of her first day at Seattle Grace having dreamt the events of the previous eleven seasons.  Just a suggestion though.

Sincerely,

All Grey’s Anatomy fans

Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!