Online Shopping Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Living in a small city on a tight college budget can prove tricky when trying to keep up with trends. Thank goodness for the invention of the World Wide Web! There are hundreds of thousands of sites that cater to small pockets and fast trends, but where to start? 

1. Something specific in mind:

Start with search engines like Polyvore or Wanelo to find that perfect pair of sequin-cheetah print-faux leather-leggings you’re looking for. Just kidding, but you get the picture. Make sure to put in your price limit so those beautiful Rebecca Minkoff heels you really can’t afford won’t taunt you.

1. A mile long list of must-haves:

Visit sites like ASOS or Tobi. These huge online retailers have tons of products fit for every different taste at great prices. They’re great places to find unique tops and sweaters or you’re essential basics. Take advantage of the free shipping from ASOS and 50% off your first order at Tobi.

1. Formal or party dress:

Retailers like ModCloth, Necessary Clothing, NastyGal, LuLus and 2020AVE are great places to start your search. Typically the dresses are inexpensive. The sites also offer a large selection of sale items and frequently run promos. This way you can party without worrying about ripping your expensive frock or spilling on dry clean only fabric.

For special occasions or when you’re willing to splurge check out The Outnet, Net-A-Porter and ShopBop for stylish designer garb.

1. Footwear:

Take a long look through the massive selections at Piperlime, Steve Madden, Aldo, UrbanOG, Chinese Laundry and DSW. Whether you’re looking for new boots to get you through winter or a head turning pair of pumps to complete an outfit, these sites won’t fail you.

1. Jewelry:

At odds when it comes to finding the perfect statement necklace to compliment your new blouse? J. Crew, Anthropologie and Kendra Scott have amazing selections of necklaces, rings and bracelets.

To keep within a lower budget turn to sites like Bauble Bar, Francesca’s, Lily and Violet and In Pink.

If you’re just looking to stock up on the arm candy and funky rings Brandy Melville and Free People are your go-to spots.

The key to online shopping is to not get overwhelmed. Browsing aimlessly can leave you with too many options and an overflowing virtual shopping cart that’s impossible to narrow down. Go into the experience with a list and some specifics in mind to make the process stress free. You’ll surely be able to find everything you need and while scoring some great deals! All you have to do is wait for the package to arrive, but who doesn’t love getting mail?

Other swoon-worthy sites:

TopShop

Zara

Revolve Clothing

Shop Piin

Sabo Skirt

Sa Vous

Becca Bahrke is a junior at the University of Wisconsin- Madison majoring in Retailing and minoring in Entrepreneurship and Gender & Women Studies. Becca is currently the CC/EIC of Her Campus- Wisconsin, and will continue writing news. Becca's primary hobby is blogging on her tumblr http://beccahasnothingtowear.tumblr.com