galentine\'s day party
galentine\'s day party
Krista Stucchio
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

During this time of quarantine, I have been seeing many people try out new things. Some are working out, trying new hobbies or even dying their hair. Instead of trying these out, I wanted to take a more unique gamble and see if I could find love online. You would think that quarantine would make it a challenge to online date but thanks to FaceTime, I have been able to go on various dates! Out of the seven dates I went on, I will share my three most memorable experiences. Some were phenomenal and others were far from it, but it’s a learning process for everyone.

horse hiking girl adventure utah national park
Maria Scheller / Her Campus
When I first got Bumble, I definitely wasn’t expecting to be going on actual online dates! The first guy I connected with I will refer to as Jake. Jake was very different from my usual “type”. He loved everything country and thoroughly enjoyed mudding. Our first date was definitely far from what one would  typically be outside quarantine. He decided that he wanted to facetime me the second night we were talking so we could have our “date”. This facetime made me more nervous than I should’ve been. During this call, we were both lying in bed. Jake and I decided not to eat but to just  talk instead. Our date lasted over 4 hours! We just took the time to get to know each other and voice our anxiety over the world right now. Overall this was a wonderful date experience!

Someone holds a Playstation controller in front of an out-of-focus television
Pexels
After my date with Jake, I grew hopeful that Bumble might actually allow me to find a decent guy. I was definitely wrong for some of the guys I was talking to. For my second dating experience, I will refer to him as Matt. There were red flags from the start that Matt probably was not the type of guy I should be face-timing. He was cocky from the start, but I decided to test it out. During our facetime call, we both ate a meal. This was honestly awkward, especially because eating gave us an awkward silence. Matt afterward asked me a few questions, but then decided to put all of his attention on gaming. The whole time he was gaming, I just sat there in shock that he already didn’t care to talk. I ended the facetime and told him my phone died after a few minutes. If you’re on a facetime date and the guy puts on his gamer headphones, I suggest ending the call to avoid an awkward situation. 

tiger on rock
Animal World through Pixabay

Matt decided to ghost me after the call, but I just kept moving on through this experience! The next man I will refer to as Luke. Luke was a sweetheart, he always asked me so many questions. He seemed like a genuine guy. I was very excited when he asked if I wanted to facetime! Honestly Luke was the nice guy that I was looking for and that I actually wanted in my life. With that said, I’m glad we facetimed. The beginning of the call was pretty normal. We were just talking about our days while both of us were sitting (I learned my lesson not to eat on the call). Then things started to become odd. Luke asked me if I could growl, which I can’t do even if I wanted to. The rest of the call he attempted to growl at me. I just sat there and smiled until I hung up to eat dinner. He texted me after the call saying that he would, “learn to growl better just for me”. This was the last text I would ever receive from Luke. I texted him thanking him for the date but I also told him I could not proceed with anything. 

Love neon sign
Shaira Dela Peña on Unsplash
Online dating is a hit or miss. I realized through my various dates that you really learn what you are looking for. It’s honestly a good way to explore what kind of person you want in your life! Although it can be awkward, I suggest testing it out! You never know how much you will grow through the process of finding love!