Olivia Pope: the Ultimate Female Protagonist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

In honor of the much anticipated Scandal season 5 premiere, it is time to honor our favorite badass political fixer, entrepreneur, and classy public relations mogul: Olivia Pope. Here are a few reasons why she is the ideal female protagonist.

Olivia is an entrepreneur.

After leaving her top-notch job at the White House (huge power move), she started her own business, with a law degree in her back pocket. She rightfully named her new business Olivia Pope & Associates with a clear goal in mind: wear the white hat. With her list of high-profile clients, she is a reliable, well-known, and revered name in Washington DC. Competitors are essentially peasants compared to Olivia and her team of “gladiators in suits.”

She knows how to handle everything.

In times of crisis, everyone knows the number to dial. Once Olivia is involved, it’s handled.

Olivia plays hard-to-get.

In other TV dramas, the female protagonist could often be depicted as weak and love struck in the presence of their male romantic interest. In Olivia’s case, she has not one man vying for her love, but two. Despite the constant professions of adoration from both men, Olivia is not quick to give them her love in return, they have to earn it. Let’s not forget that one of her “suitors” is the President. Of. The. United States.

She has sophisticated taste in alcohol.

Drinking beers and ripping shots may be fun, but Olivia shows us how to drink with class. It is rare to watch an episode without seeing Olivia nursing a monstrous glass of Pinot Noir. That woman loves her wine (especially when she’s in her pajamas), and she makes us want to love it too.

Olivia is effortlessly chic.

It is remarkable how Olivia is always impeccably dressed. Olivia clearly has a ridiculous busy schedule, but always allows time to make herself look presentable (which is not hard if you look like Kerry Washington). She looks stunning at work, at night, at home, and even in the morning. I think few people could honestly say they look as good as she does after rolling out of bed. Her outfits are always sophisticated and effortlessly chic.

She’s not afraid to show vulnerability.

Despite the stony front Olivia puts up, she is not afraid to show her soft, susceptible side at the appropriate times. Her vulnerability shows that she is not perfect and makes her more relatable to her audience.

Finally, Olivia has her way with words.

Who doesn’t love watching Olivia verbally tear apart her adversaries? She is witty, ambitious, creative and vicious if need be. She makes us want to cheer her on until the bitter end – she is the perfect female protagonist. 

Hello everyone!! I am a University of Wisconsin freshman hailing from Bucks County, Pennsylvania. I intend to pursue the journalism track, with a potential minor in business. I love writing and Her Campus specifically because want everyone to be able to relate.
Madison is a senior at the University of Wisconsin pursuing a major in English Literature with minors in Entrepreneurship and Digital Media Studies. Post college, Madison plans to complete her dreams of being the next Anna Wintour. In her free time, Madison enjoys listening to Eric Hutchinson, eating dark chocolate, and FaceTiming her puppies back home. When she isn't online shopping, or watching YouTube bloggers (ie Fleur DeForce), Madison loves exploring the vast UW Campus and all it has to offer! She is very excited to take this next step in her collegiette career as Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief for HC Wisco. On Wisconsin!