New Year’s Resolution Based on Your Sign

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

It’s important to make New Year’s resolutions. It’s a chance to start over and make a valiant effort towards bettering yourself. Everyone has different things they need to or wish to improve upon, as we’re all different people; so here are a few suggestions for you based on your sign:

Aries

Aries is all about developing the “self.” You’re very independent and inwardly focused — which isn’t a bad thing! However, you can sometimes get into trouble focusing too much on yourself and not so much on others. This year, try spreading some of that empowering inner light to your community; perhaps resolve to volunteer more this new year. You’re passionate and loyal; any organization would be lucky to have you on their team.

Taurus

Taurus, you love to be cozy and comfortable, and you find solace in having two feet planted firmly on the ground at all times. It’s important to stay grounded, but this year, try something totally new. Don’t get caught up in self-doubt or fear, just throw a little caution to the wind and do something exciting, something that will get your blood pumping. You also love nature, so try finding new adventures by channeling your outdoorsy side. Try parasailing, rock climbing or surfing — anything to nurture your wild side. You’ll be proud of yourself for taking a little risk — you might even pick up a new hobby!

Gemini

Your curious, adaptable nature means that you love getting involved with everything; but sometimes, you end up trying to juggle a bit too much. This year, weed out what you don’t need. Get rid of the junk clogging up the house, quit clubs or jobs that you don’t love, and unfollow those random friend-of-friends you met once at a party. You’ll be better off prioritizing what you love than trying to cram in things you don’t even need.

Cancer

What can I say, Cancer? You’re a bit of a homebody. This year, make sure your home is one you absolutely love coming back to every day. Focus on your interior design style this new year. Toss out old wall arts from high school, snag some sweet tapestries, and hunt down some nifty shelves and fun candles — make your space truly your own. Make sure it reflects your needs and personality. Since there are plenty of low-budget decors and design ideas out there, you don’t even have to break the bank while building yourself a lovely little space.

Leo

Leo loves the flash. You’re one to be up on the latest fashion trends and the coolest new spots; but this stylish tendency comes at a cost — literally.  This year is the year to get real with yourself and make a budget. Stick to one that will work for you and keep track of what you buy — you might be surprised how much you can cut out without really missing it. And hey, no one said you can’t still have some fun this year. Instead of splurging on a sparkling face mask or a velvet romper, try putting that hard-earned dough into a travel fund. That way, at least some of that cash goes to something worthwhile.  

Virgo

Has anyone ever told you to loosen up a bit? Well, this is your year! In 2018, you should resolve to throw an awesome party. Hear me out: you’ll not only get to plan and organize an event (right down to the Pinterest-inspired table decor and theme-consistent mixed drinks), you’ll also get a free lesson in letting loose. You can let your hair down, dance on the coffee table (carefully) and sing at the top of your lungs — all while getting your sense of control by picking out all the decorations, planning every detail and of course and coming up with a killer theme. This all needs to happen on one condition, though: you’re not allowed to do the dishes before bed.

Libra

You — and the rest of our generation — suffer from frequent FOMO, Libra. You’re a social creature, which is lovely and exciting; but perhaps this is the year of letting yourself say “no” once in a while. You love balance, so take a night in for yourself — don’t always feel obligated to please others by agreeing to go out with the whole squad. You’ll save money and energy by settling into a luxurious olive oil infused bubble bath instead of running around town on a bar crawl. You’ve got a lot of love to give, Libra; but try spending some on yourself this year.

Scorpio

You’re loyal to the bone, Scorpio. You know who your friends are, and you don’t always feel comfortable stepping outside of your circle to find someone new to connect with. This year, challenge yourself to branch out and meet new people. It doesn’t mean you have to be best friends with everyone you meet at the grocery store, but try committing yourself to making a couple of new friends this year — expand that circle of trust inch by inch. You’ll end up finding even more people for you to love, trust and, of course, be a smidge possessive over.

Sagittarius

You’ve got a bucket list a mile long, Sag. It’s time to tackle it (or at least some of it). This year, do at least one thing you’ve been meaning to do since you can remember. Learn to play the ukulele, take that summer road trip, go scuba diving, or learn Spanish. You love to explore new and exciting things, and this year is no exception. So go make it happen!

Capricorn

You’re a sucker for comfort, and you feel best when you have some kind of rhythm. This year, establish a new ritual or habit that will give you a sense of peace and joy. Create a skincare routine, start taking a moment for a cup of chamomile tea each night, set up a morning stretching schedule, or work a weekly treat into your Wednesday afternoon slump. This year, do something that will remind your body to be present and grateful.

Aquarius

You love when you have a cause to fight for, Aquarius. And you have a powerful, persuasive voice that can truly change minds. Lean into your humanitarian, thoughtful side this year, and find your next challenge to tackle. Make sure you’re reading up on news and politics, so you can be armed with all the information you need to take on an issue that truly matters to you. This is the year of standing up for something you believe in.  

Pisces

Pisces, you’re all about the arts. This year, make sure you remember to nurture your creative side amid all the demands of everyday life. Dedicate yourself to reading more, especially about your interests, such as spirituality, romance, art and sleep. A great way to get inspired is to appreciate and experience the work of others. You might even feel inclined to finally start writing that book you’ve been thinking about…

Only you know what changes will truly make your life feel fuller, happier and richer in the new year; but why not look to the stars for a little guidance?

Kate Nerone is a lifelong writer of fiction, non-fiction, essays and poetry. She grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area where she received numerous awards for both fiction and non-fiction works. She is a featured author in Declare What You Know to Be True, an anthology by students of the Intuitive Writing Project. Her passions include acting, writing, dancing, podcasting, shopping at Trader Joe's, and requesting snapchats of her dogs from her mom. She attends the University of Wisconsin-Madison where she is involved in Her Campus, Love Wisconsin, Hillel, WSUM, the film department and more. She has interests in pursuing creative writing, acting, filmmaking, journalism, and communication arts.
Hannah, originally from Milwaukee, WI is a Campus Correspondent for HC Wisconsin.  Hannah is a Senior and is studying Political Science and Psychology.  She aspires to work in health policy and will run for office one day.  She is never seen without a cup of coffee in hand and loves to eat any food in sight, especially sushi.  Outside of school, Hannah frequents Badger sporting events and likes to hang out with her friends on the weekends finding new things to do and new places to eat.  Hannah also runs her own Mary Kay business and is obsessed with keeping up with the latest makeup trends! This will be her seventh semester on the Her Campus team, and she loves the org more and more each semester!  It is Hannah's favorite thing that she is involved in on campus and highly recommends anyone with an interest in writing, journalism, or blogging to get involved, you won't regret it! On Wisconsin!!