This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Due to an extended winter break in my hometown, I spent a majority of my free time binging way too many shows. Although it wasn’t my first time witnessing the iconic friendship of these four New York City women, I couldn’t help but think of all the memorable moments I took from watching Sex and the City again. Plus, in honor of the new reboot coming to HBO Max, it seems only necessary to revisit some quotes that make this show so wonderful.

Here are just ten of the many fantastic quotes from the ladies of Sex and the City.

“The most exciting, challenging, and significant relationship of all is the one you have with yourself. And if you can find someone to love the you you love, well, that’s just fabulous.” – Carrie

Carrie Bradshaw never fails to serve the audience important messages. In fact, that is one thing I love the most about Sex and the City. Not only is it a funny and entertaining watch, but it teaches life lessons that will stick with you for years to come. Take it from Carrie herself: you should always put yourself first.

“I like my money where I can see it- hanging in my closet!” – Carrie

Carrie definitely doesn’t help my shopping addiction- but hey, at least she justifies it!

“I love you, but I love me more.” -Samantha

Once again, Sex and the City informs us that it is important to love yourself. However, they managed to tell us in the brutally honest Samantha Jones fashion.

“I want to enjoy my success, not apologize for it.” – Miranda

Although all the women are fantastic in their own ways, Miranda Hobbs always stood out to me. Miranda is a successful lawyer who knows what she wants in life and doesn’t settle for less. As a woman, Miranda has a difficult time finding the recognition she deserves. However, she fights for the fact that she shouldn’t have to settle for anything less.

“I’ve spent $40,000 on shoes and I have no place to live?! I will literally be the old woman who lived in her shoes.” – Carrie

It’s okay Carrie- I’m sure the Manolo Blahniks were worth it! After all, you can never have too many shoes… Or can you?

“I think I caught monogamy. I caught it from you people.” – Samantha

Samantha easily has the best one-liners on Sex and the City. Anyone who knows Samantha Jones knows that she spends her time sleeping around, which made this quote extra funny and memorable.

“You shouldn’t have to sacrifice who you are just because somebody else has a problem with it.” – Carrie

Carrie has had her fair share of relationships where she felt the need to change who she is to be more compatible with that person. But, if Carrie learned anything, it’s that changing who you are will leave you with a post-it note break up and a loss of identity. In the end, you need someone who loves and accepts you for who you are. 

“Maybe we can be each other’s soulmates. And then we can let men be just these great, nice guys to have fun with.” – Charlotte

Charlotte York is definitely the mother of the friend group- always nurturing and keeping the other girls in line. One of my favorite moments in the entire series is when Charlotte and the girls decide that they are each other’s soulmates. Men come and go, but friendships last a lifetime. 

“Sexy is what I try to get them to see after I win them over with my personality.” – Miranda

Miranda always keeps it real with the girls and this quote is a prime example. Miranda’s sarcastic comments make some of the best lines in the show. 

“They say nothing lasts forever; dreams change, trends come and go, but friendships never go out of style.” – Carrie

Although the fashion, drama and writing in New York City is a great part of Sex and the City, it is not the main reason I find myself watching it over and over. It’s the friendship that these four women share that makes the show so hard to turn off.

Sex and the City is a good show in so many different ways, however I will forever appreciate the multitude of lessons it taught me. Humor and big city lifestyles aside, Sex and the City tells the story of four best friends trying to find their way through the difficulties of everyday life. These women make the show and have helped put a lot of things in my life into perspective. No matter how tough life can be, true friends are forever.

Maddie Bergstrom

Wisconsin '23

Maddie Bergstrom is a sophomore at the University of Wisconsin-Madison studying Journalism and Psychology. She enjoys movie nights, listening to music, fashion and spending time with friends.
Kate O’Leary

Wisconsin '23

Kate is currently a senior at the University of Wisconsin Madison majoring in Biology, Psychology and Sociology. She is the proud co-president of Her Campus Wisconsin. Kate enjoys indoor cycling, spending time with friends, cheering on the Badgers and making the absolute best crepes ever!