My Top Four Halloween Movies this Spooky Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Are you looking to spice up your Halloween movie collection this season? Well, try watching these movies…

One of my favorite activities as we inch closer to Halloween is lying down on the couch with a warm apple cider and watching a classic Halloween movie. Every Halloween movie has its own personality where you can pick from super scary to kid-friendly. Although there are so many to choose from, there are definitely a few that top my list of favorites. Here are my top Halloween movies this spooky season with a choice for everyone.

HOCUS POCUS

This is by far my favorite Halloween movie. Hocus Pocus is the story of a boy, Max, who unleashes three witches after visiting an abandoned house in Salem. This movie is filled with comedy, spooks and great actresses like Sarah Jessica Parker. There is also a great rendition of “I Put a Spell on You” by John Debney in this movie that will have you singing and up on your feet. Hocus Pocus is a nostalgic Halloween movie that will make you remember how you felt as a kid on Halloween. I highly recommend watching this if you are looking to just watch one Halloween movie this season.

halloweentown

A classic Disney movie that’s filled with monsters, witches and every creature you can think of is the perfect movie for Halloween. This movie follows the life of a girl named Marnie who realizes she is a witch after her Grandma visits on Halloween. After she follows her grandma to her home in Halloweentown, Marnie and her grandma must help save the town from a great monster who has taken over while Marnie is still discovering her witch powers. This movie is kid-friendly, but it brings the Halloween spirit out in anyone who watches. If you are looking for an easy watch when in the Halloween mood, this is definitely the one for you.

It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown

Ever since I was a kid, Charlie Brown has been a big part of my life during the holidays. Whether you are an adult or a \kid, this movie will make you feel wholesome and warm inside. This short film of less than an hour is a perfect movie to throw on when you are looking for a quick watch to put you in the Halloween mood. Watch Linus look for the great pumpkin in this movie, and enjoy other characters such as Charlie Brown and Snoopy as they make their iconic appearances!

Us

For all of my horror lovers, this is the one for you. As we stray away from the wholesome and mediocrely spooky movies, this one’s fear factor is much more elevated. Although it’s not necessarily a Halloween-themed movie, this Jordan Peele film elicits a fear from within. You will follow a family throughout the film that meets their doppelgangers who are not the friendliest people. With stellar acting from Lupita Nyong’o and an unpredictable ending, this movie will have you on your toes. This was by far the best horror film I have ever seen and will put you in the scary Halloween mood if this is what you’re looking for.

Halloween season is the best time to explore new movies that you might not watch at any other time of the year. These Halloween movies can make you feel scared, nostalgic or like a Halloween character yourself. You are never too old to enjoy this holiday, and fortunately, there’s a movie for everyone in this category that will put you in the Halloween spirit. Take some of my suggestions or go and explore for yourself on platforms such as Netflix, Hulu and HBO Max. You never know what you might enjoy!

Natalie Ingold

Wisconsin '24

Junior at the University of Wisconsin-Madison who is studying Psychology and who is learning to love to write for fun!