Style > Beauty

My Top 8 Underrated (and Affordable) Makeup Products

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Good makeup doesn’t have to break your bank!

Good makeup products and accessories do not have to cost an arm and a leg. I am all for finding products that fit best for you, but these are some products I have discovered that I think are underrated. They have made both my makeup better and my life easier!

1. This one is not exactly a makeup product, but more a makeup accessory. Two years ago, I got the Lay-n-Go COSMO makeup bag. This thing is a GAME CHANGER. Previously, whenever I got ready, all of my makeup would be taken out of the bag and go everywhere. This bag has a drawstring that cinches so it can easily lay flat. When you’re done, you cinch it back up without having to pack everything back in a makeup bag. It is very spacious too! This product retails for $30, which I think is a great deal considering how great of a product it is. 

2. The next product is one of my absolute favorites. The Morphe 2 Hide & Peek Concealer is my favorite concealer ever (and I’ve tried MANY). This concealer is creamy and has light to medium coverage, but can be built up. In my experience, it is not drying at all. It looks natural and lasts for a long time. At only $12, it is a great deal for an amazing product. I recommend this concealer to everyone I know.

3. Retailing at only $6 is the Color Statement Lipliner by Milani. This product is a very good price for a great lip liner. The colors are great and it is super smooth. High-end lip liners are always being discussed but in my experience, this one does the same thing!

4. This product may not be “underrated” to some since it blew up on the internet. In my mind, the HUGE difference it makes in your makeup is not talked about enough. The triangle powder puffs are life-changing. You can use loose or pressed powder to prevent your concealer from creasing, contour your face, or set any of your makeup. This tool is much better than setting your face with a brush or beauty blender. It makes everything stay so securely and look much more cohesive. I always throw one in my purse to touch up my makeup on the go. You can get a 5 pack on Amazon for $5!

5. The next product is the ColourPop Super Shock Cosmetic Highlighter. I have this one in the shade “Flexitarian” and I am obsessed. I have tried many highlighters and this one is perfect for me. It is creamy, which is a bit rare for highlighters that usually come in powder or liquid form. You only have to use a small amount, so it lasts forever. It can also be built up for when you want even more glow.

6. The Blush Bomb Cream Blusher by Revolution is next up on the list. It’s a cream blush, slightly similar to the Rare Beauty blush. It lasts FOREVER and it’s only $9. I have this blush in the color “Savage Coral” and it is a gorgeous color. It is buildable, not patchy and stays on all day!

7. Another makeup accessory that I love is the Sonia Kashuk Makeup Blender Sponge. A two-pack of these can be found at Target for only $7. Not only is this sponge pretty, but it works better than any other ones I’ve found! You don’t need to break the bank with a $20 Beautyblender brand sponge, when a $3.50 works just as well, if not better.

8. This next product is not as affordable as the last few, but as far as high-end makeup, it isn’t too bad. The Lip Souffle Matte Cream Lipstick by Rare Beauty is SO underrated. It is $20 but it lasts forever. The product is matte, so I always add a lip liner underneath and a gloss on top, and it stays for so long. It’s also super pigmented so a little bit goes a long way. Since I have a darker color, a small amount makes it much less intense. You can barely feel it on your lips because of how lightweight it is!

Our “For You” pages are all filled with influencers recommending different recommendations, many being paid to do so. I am obviously not being paid, so these are some products I honestly love. Every product works differently for each person, but these are some that have been amazing for me!

Ella Smith

Wisconsin '26

Hi! My name is Ella and I am a sophomore at UW-Madison studying Psychology and eventually Social Work!