This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Good vibes, good energy and good music

Finding new music is one of my favorite pastimes. I enjoy finding songs that fit my lifestyle at that moment or align with the ‘vibes’ I get from the season. Finding music that reflects exactly how you are feeling or aligns with the weather outside is not only a satisfying experience, but also lets you fully express your emotions. To me, fall is colorful leaves, cozy sweaters, a chai latte and getting comfortable with a good book. Fall is one of my favorite seasons because of its semi-warm climate and beautiful landscape. Acting as a ‘middle man’ from summer to winter, fall is the perfect season to branch out and find new music. Here are my current top six favorite songs for the fall.

1. “Bitter” by Palace

I recently found Palace, a British alternative rock and blues band from London, and loved the ‘edge’ their music produced. This song reminds me of road trips through the mountains, admiring the colorful leaves while sippin’ on a warm cup of apple cider. Bitter brings an unsanded-rawness sound with lyrics describing the destructive nature of jealousy. This is the perfect song to add to your fall playlist if you want an alternative feel to listen to on your walk to class.

2. “Chateau” by Angus & Julia Stone

“Chateau” by Angus and Julia Stone takes on a slower melody reminiscent of a misty morning walk through the forest. This song feels like a crisp fall breeze but with a groovy beat. This is a mellow song, perfect for a slow Sunday morning. Angus and Julia perfectly capture the duality of fall, with a relaxing and slow song but an uplifting and refreshing beat.

3. “Skin” by Spacey Jane

Spacey Jane is currently one of my favorite artists. They are an Australian indie rock band from Perth, Australia, and produce the perfect music for a sunny fall day. Spacey Jane definitely brings an upbeat rock energy, making “Skin” the perfect song to get your day started on the right foot. This song screams ‘dance party with your friends’ with a guitar-driven beat engaging other alternative sounds. I listen to this song while I make breakfast and it is the perfect melody to help fade my sleepiness away and get me in the right mood.

4. “Rhiannon” by Fleetwood Mac

Now, this is obviously a classic. It goes without saying that Fleetwood Mac’s music is a timeless work of art, but I may be biased. “Rhiannon” is a reoccurring song that always finds itself back on my fall playlist every year. This song balances telling a mysterious narrative with classic rock sounds in the background. I love this song because it’s not a super upbeat song, but it is also not a sad song. This song feels like browsing through a bookstore on a rainy fall day or going on your annual trip to the pumpkin patch.

5. “Ode to a Conversation Stuck in Your Throat” by Del Water Gap

Del Water Gap is one of my newly discovered favorites. “Ode to a Conversation Stuck in Your Throat” emulates the comforting, warm and cozy feeling of fall. Detailing the feeling of anxiety with newly developed relationships, this song is sure to propel you on your walk to class. It’s an upbeat song with soft guitar and bass but reflects a calmness as the vocals ‘melt’ into the music. This song always makes me want to belt out and dance around, which is never a bad thing.

6. “Compromised” by Tim Atlas

To end with a bang, “Compromised” by Tim Atlas perfectly captures the feeling fall brings me. With a groovy beat and silky vocals, this song captures the autumn atmosphere perfectly, contrasting the sunny warm fall days with the chilly fall days looming in the future. Providing the ideal transition song between summer and fall, this song has been on repeat for both seasons. “Compromised” is great for all occasions, with its upbeat energy, it provides the perfect relaxed beat for studying background music.

Obviously, music taste is uniquely catered to each person so these songs might not be your cup of tea. Whether it’s one of these songs or not, I hope this has inspired you to branch out and find new music to brave the end of the semester. In my experience, music can make your days more enjoyable and bearable so finding music that fits my mood is an essential part of my self-care routine. So, put your headphones on, kick back, relax and blast some music!

Camila Rivero

Wisconsin '24

Hi! My name is Camila Rivero and I was born in raised in Boulder, Colorado. I am now attending the University of Wisconsin-Madison hoping to pursue my degree in strategic communications with a minor in digital studies.