My Favorite Tracks Off of The Weeknd’s Trilogy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Picking apart the best songs from what is possibly The Weeknd’s greatest masterpiece

Everyone who knows me well, knows my appreciation for Abel Tesfaye’s music. In fact, my close friends have decided that I’m obsessed. Am I obsessed? Maybe. Do I care? No.

Abel Tesfaye is better known by his stage name, The Weeknd. Racking up 92 awards over the two-year duration of his After Hours era, Abel is one of the most awarded male artists of this century. In fact, he is currently the number one most listened to artist on Spotify, trumping Justin Bieber with over 80 million listeners globally. Abel’s recent surge in listeners follows the release of his fifth studio album, Dawn FM, on January 6th.

Up until 2018, I knew The Weeknd like the general population knows The Weeknd — popular tracks like “Earned It”, “I Can’t Feel My Face”, “Often”, “Starboy” and “I Feel It Coming” were the only songs that I was remotely familiar with. However, this changed significantly after I went to see him at Summerfest that year; and somehow, he sounded ten times better in person. I was blown away by his unique vocalics and cryptic lyrics, and all I wanted during that concert was to know more of his music.

A couple days later, I began looking into Abel’s discography and came across Trilogy, his first compilation album composed of 30 tracks that were previously three separate mixtapes. When I say that Trilogy is a timeless masterpiece, I’m not exaggerating. I’ve never heard anything like it — the melancholic, toxic and sensual lyrics combined with eerie and hypnotic beats creates a captivating experience. In most cases, Abel’s albums are experiences in that they tell a well-rounded story. Specifically, Trilogy is a story about his fixation on sex, drugs, fame and the heartbreak and emptiness that follows.

The more I listened to The Weeknd’s older projects, the more upset I became that I hadn’t discovered him earlier on in my life. I fell in love with his unique, dark R&B twist and couldn’t stop listening. Fast forward to now and I know every one of his songs, including his many features with other artists like Drake, Ariana Grande and Doja Cat. In other words, I’m here four years later and I still can’t stop listening. I’m here four years later, after hearing it all, and Trilogy is still my favorite work.

I say these things not only because I think it’s kind of a flex, but also because it gives a better understanding of how well I know Abel as an artist. Therefore, feel free to utilize the following list I’ve compiled of his greatest tracks off of Trilogy. Think of this like a cheat sheet to his best work (in my opinion, of course).

“House of Balloons / Glass Table Girls”

This track is the inspiration for Abel’s first-ever mixtape, House of Balloons (HOB), released in March of 2011. To elaborate, HOB is one of three mixtapes that make up Trilogy; the two others are titled Echoes of Silence and Thursday

“HOB / Glass Table Girls” is my absolute favorite track by Abel. It’s the song that my best friends and I belt out with the windows down. It’s the song that can still give me goosebumps after years of knowing and loving it. It’s the song that brings back the craziest feelings and most nostalgic memories. 

The seven-minute-song breaks musical norms with its swift transition at 3:30 into what seems like it should be an entirely separate song. However, this second part of the song miraculously compliments the first part as Abel transitions from his usual high-pitched vocals into choppy and ominous rapping. Definitely go give this one a listen, and be ready for an otherworldly experience.

“The Morning”

This one feels like a sunrise. I pull this song up on my early morning, one-and-a-half-hour drives back to college. The tranquil rhythm fills me with a sense of calmness as I watch the sky turn an orange-yellow color. 

“The Morning” hits differently for me because it’s unlike a lot of The Weeknd’s work since there is a rising and falling synth played through the entire song. Not just this, but multiple other beats change up and come back throughout the song, keeping my ears happy and stimulated. The rhythm also never feels sad, dark, or heavy, which is probably part of why I compare it to a sunrise.

Play this song on your next early morning drive and you will understand what I mean.

Fun fact: “The Morning” is one of the first songs that Abel ever released back in 2009 on YouTube.

“Heaven or Las Vegas”

This is the last track on Thursday, and it absolutely delivers. “Heaven or Las Vegas” (HOLV) is probably the most aggressive song on this mixtape because of its bold and fierce overtones. The constantly wavering tempo on which the song is built keeps you drawn in until the end. Surprisingly, there aren’t many lyrics to accompany the six-minute-long track. But, Abel takes this opportunity to show off his ability to turn perfectly pitched whines, cries and belts into a musical masterpiece.

HOLV holds a special place in my heart because it has fueled many, many of my weight lifting sessions. If you listen to this song and think that’s weird, you’re right. This isn’t what most would consider to be a “hype gym song”, but I can’t explain this one; it just gets my blood flowing.

“Initiation”

This psychedelic, fast-paced, forbidding, sensual track might have you freaking out and running the other direction at first. I almost felt violated the first time I listened to this song. It’s like a hypnotic experience and you’re not even sure what you’re listening to until you play it a few more times.

“Initiation” truly is The Weeknd’s absolute most ridiculous and weirdest song — and that’s why I love it. Someone said if romance-horror was a movie genre, this would be the perfect soundtrack. Needless to say, they are exactly right.

“Twenty Eight”

I’m convinced that this song could make anybody who has been through heartbreak sob uncontrollably. The sorrowful piano playing and heavy lyrics evoke a mess of emotions. But above all, the symbolism in this track is what moves me the most:

“This house is not a home to you

But you decide to go ahead and lay down, lay down

There are no words to describe the depth of your indifference

‘Cause I see you’re here to stay

Should’ve known to pick my fate

I’m so wrong, I’m so wrong

(To let you in my)

To let you in my home

(Now you know where I sleep)

Now you know where I sleep

(Never felt so damn weak)”

Add “Twenty Eight” to your breakup playlist; it does wonders.

It was no easy task to pick my top songs off of Trilogy because there is something unique to love about every single one. Although, I’m glad I did because this was an excuse to sit and listen to them on repeat. On top of that, I get to share this insight with anyone who wants it.

If you choose to go stream Trilogy now, I truly hope you enjoy and appreciate it as much as I do. Happy listening!

References

Ellis, L. (2020, October 6). What was the Weeknd’s first song? Celeb Answers. Retrieved March 1, 2022, from https://celebanswers.com/what-was-the-weeknds-first-song/

McPherson, R. (2021, July 17). Fans celebrate the Weeknd’s accomplishment for being one of the most awarded male artists of all time. The Things. Retrieved March 1, 2022, from https://www.thethings.com/fans-celebrate-the-weeknds-accomplishment-for-being-one-of-the-most-awarded-male-artists-of-all-time/

Subs. (2013, January 15). The Weeknd – Trilogy. Palatinate. Retrieved March 1, 2022, from https://www.palatinate.org.uk/the-weeknd-trilogy/

TooBrokeToCare. (2019, May 28). Initiation. Rate Your Music. Retrieved March 1, 2022, from https://rateyourmusic.com/release/single/the-weeknd/initiation/

The Weeknd – Twenty Eight. Genius. (2012). Retrieved March 1, 2022, from https://genius.com/The-weeknd-twenty-eight-lyrics 

Hope Nelson

Wisconsin '22

Hi! I'm a senior at UW-Madison majoring in Life Sciences Communication. My true passion lies in educating and engaging with others in conversation about diet culture. If you need me, you can find me listening to The Weeknd, petting dogs, or eating a generous bowl of moose tracks ice cream.