This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Here are my favorite books that I read in 2022

I’ve always been a pretty active reader- from library reading contests to the Scholastic book fair. I can always be spotted curled up on the couch with a good book in my hand. I have kept up my reading habit over the years, however, it became something I do less often as life became busier with school and going to college. In 2022, I decided that was going to change. I found myself with a lot more downtime when I studied abroad in the fall. I was able to read during layovers, on long flights and on the subway on my way to school. I found my childhood passion returning as I finally had the time again. I used the app Goodreads to track my books and found that I read 57 books in 2022. Here are my top five favorite books I read in 2022.

1. A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J Maas

A Court of Thorns and Roses follows the story of Feyre (who is a huntress) and how her life changes when she is imprisoned in the kingdom of her enemy, much to her shock and despair. Thus begins the love/hate type relationship between the two main characters, Feyre and Tamlin. A TV show is being developed about the series and will be developed by Hulu” (The Guardian).

2. Circe by Madeline Miller

“Circe is a witch, skilled in potions, herbs, and transformational arts. Exiled by her father to a remote island in punishment for her use of sorcery, Circe eventually encounters the mortal Odysseus, who becomes shipwrecked on her island” (BookishElf).

3. Everything I Know About Love by Dolly Alderton

Everything I Know About Love (2018) is the debut book by English author, podcaster, and journalist Dolly Alderton. It is a memoir about her teens and twenties, as she navigates romantic love, female friendship, self-discovery, and self-actualization. It is now a TV series on Peacock” (SuperSummary).

4. I’m Glad My Mom Died by Jennette McCurdy

“A heartbreaking and hilarious memoir by iCarly and Sam & Cat star Jennette McCurdy about her struggles as a former child actor—including eating disorders, addiction, and a complicated relationship with her overbearing mother—and how she retook control of her life” (Simon & Schuster)

5. One Italian Summer by Rebecca Serle

“When Katy’s mother dies, she is left reeling…To make matters worse, their planned mother-daughter trip of a lifetime looms: to Positano, the magical town where Carol spent the summer right before she met Katy’s father. Katy has been waiting years for Carol to take her, and now she is faced with embarking on the adventure alone” (Simon & Schuster).

As I have gotten back to school and had a busy schedule, I realized how easy it is to fit reading into my schedule. I read between classes, before bed, and while eating dinner. My goal this year is to read 75 books and I have finished 12 so far. I encourage everyone who wants to get back into reading to start with just 20 pages a day, and work their way up from there as it is a great stress reliever, a fun hobby and a way to improve your intelligence. I also encourage readers to keep an open mind. I started off only reading romance and mystery novels, but through recommendations from friends, I have read books in genres that I never explored before. There is a book out there for everyone and sometimes it takes a friend to help you find it!

Courtney Shady

Wisconsin '23

Courtney is a senior at the University of Wisconsin-Madison studying psychology, education, and gender and women’s studies. She is from the suburbs of Milwaukee. In her free time, she enjoys drinking coffee, going to concerts, and loves hanging out with friends.