My BAE: The Urban Dictionary (doe)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

If you were to place a textbook entirely written in Chinese in front of an American student and ask them to decipher what’s inside, one can imagine the confusion scrambling through this student’s mind. However, if you were to give your mother your phone and have her decode your Instagram feed, most likely she would voluntarily check herself into an insane asylum in a matter of seconds.

The 21st century, specifically the past two years, has developed their very own Morse Code. Some may say it’s just as confusing as the original (OG) Morse Code, while most 15-year-old One Direction fans would beg to differ. Speech such as “lol” and “ily” are not being used for captions nowadays while words such as “#selfie” and “BAE” are taking over.

So to clarify the air for all of the confused, and ancient, Instagram likers out there, an Urban Dictionary dedicated to this new dialect has been created.

BAE: Before Anything ElseDescription: A term used way too loosely on modern day social media.Social Media of Origin: Twitter

Definition for the Technologically Inept: Became popular on Twitter when people started to describe their significant others as their “BAE.” Rapidly, increased to a new level when 12-year-olds were using it on their Instagram to describe their Grilled Cheese and Dino Chicken Nuggets. Popularly trending with BAE is the prefix, “OG.” Simply, a more ghetto way to write: original.

Example: “Driving to Chipotle with my OG BAE (insert car #selfie), to get my BAE-Triple Chicken Burrito Bowl.”

Hundo P: Hundred PercentDescription: A term that should forever remain in the vocabulary of rappers.Social Media of Origin: Lil Wayne’s Instagram

Definition for the Technologically Inept: Another way of 100 percent agreeing on something. Most commonly used when people are referring to places they’re going. However, following this language trend, it would not be surprising if teachers started using this to denote their test grades. (ex. Biology Midterm Score: Hundo P)

Example: “Are you gonna hit the gym today for some ‘GTL’” “Hundo P I am.”

Doe: ThoughDescription: A term used to say “though” when people’s fingers become too lazy to type out the whole word.Social Media of Origin: Facebook Messenger

Definition for the Technologically Inept: A shorter, and more grammatically incorrect, version of the word “though.” Not to be confused with money, cookie dough or a baby deer.

Example: “I want to go out tonight, but I have so much work doe.”

Ratchet: Straight up grimy, dirty and trashyDescription: Unclear of why this word was not viral when The Jersey Shore was the #1 show in America.Social Media of Origin: Facebook

Definition for the Technologically Inept: A word used to describe someone who looks god awful, trashy and probably not sober. Most commonly seen on “morning after” mobile uploads on Facebook. The term has evolved from the adjective, to now referring to a specific person as “a ratchet.”

Example: “Did you see her doing that walk of shame this morning?” “Yeah, she looked so ratchet.”

#Selfie: Do I really have to describe this one to you?

Limited Edition: UW-Madison’s 1st Urban Dictionary

FAC: Friday After ClassDescription: The greatest night of the week.Social Media of Origin: Yik Yak

Definition for the Ones Who Don’t Drink Wisconsinably: A term that has come out of every white girl and frat guys mouth at some point or another on a Friday morning. The concept to day drink (not just to casually sip) straight from your Friday morning classes (if you aren’t smart enough to plan your schedule around FAC). Obviously this term holds so much respect that it can acceptably be used as any part of speech

Example: “Are you FACing today” “Are you FACing kidding me?! Of course I’m going to FAC.”

Becca Bahrke is a junior at the University of Wisconsin- Madison majoring in Retailing and minoring in Entrepreneurship and Gender & Women Studies. Becca is currently the CC/EIC of Her Campus- Wisconsin, and will continue writing news. Becca's primary hobby is blogging on her tumblr http://beccahasnothingtowear.tumblr.com