The Most Annoying Types of People in Lecture

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

I don’t know about you guys, but I really love going to lectures. They really help me understand the material better, and I love listening to professors talk about a topic they’re passionate about. The problem is that certain people can make the experience of attending lecture a whole lot less enjoyable. Keep reading to hear the most annoying types of people you have to deal with in lecture.

The Conversationalist

This person thinks that their 9:00 a.m. lecture is the best place to talk about what they’re going to do Friday night. They’re under the impression that they’re whispering, but in reality everyone in this 200 person lecture can hear them, and we all want you to kindly stop talking.

The Online Shopper

The professor announced on the first day of class that laptops could only be used to take notes, but this person uses their computer for anything but that. Whether it’s shoe shopping or scrolling through Facebook, this person is a huge distraction to everyone around them.

The Flu Patient

This person has apparently caught the plague and spends the majority of class hacking their lungs out. Not only are they probably contagious, but their non-stop coughing makes it impossible to hear anything the professor is saying. If you’re that sick, just stay home.

The Questioner

Every five minutes, a hand goes up in the front row and the same question is asked: “Will this be on the midterm?” If the professor is taking class time to go over the topic, it’s going to be on the exam.

The Stalker

There is an unspoken rule that unless it’s a full room, you should leave a buffer seat between the person next to you. This person, however, seems to lack an understanding of personal space and sits next to you in an almost empty room, causing you to bump elbows with them for the entire class.

The Debater

This student really likes to argue — they find a way to disagree with everything the professor says. Instead of accepting that the person with multiple degrees might know a bit more than them, this student really wants to prove they know more.

Whether you find lectures enlightening or challenging, the other people in the room can definitely make it a less enjoyable experience. If anything, having to deal with these people in lecture will give us all a little more strength.

I am a senior at the greatest university— the University of Wisconsin. I am in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication, double tracking in reporting and strategic communications and earning a certificate in and Digital Studies. I am a lover of dance, hiking, writing for Her Campus, the Badgers and strawberry acais. I am also a president of Her Campus Wisconsin.