This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

I wouldn’t say I’m homesick, but I certainly do miss home

There are very few times I feel home sick, but recently, I have been missing some of my favorite activities from home. The simplicity of being home for breaks, spending time with my family and friends is something I have been reminiscing on. I love the chaos of being in Madison, living with my best friends and running around everyday, but when I have a moment to pause, I sometimes wish for the easygoing vibe of home. 

One of my most missed moments from home is visiting coffee shops with my mom. Together we love driving around trying new specialty, seasonal drinks at various small businesses. The drive from home to the coffee shop includes much needed mother-daughter catch up sessions that I miss while I’m at school. Phone calls are great, but being together in-person does not compare. Being in Madison in the fall is amazing, but I definitely miss the fall coffees from the small businesses in Pittsburgh.

I love my alone time, and one of my favorite places to be alone while I’m home is my car. I miss driving around my town, seeing my old preschool, elementary school and high school. It is wild to me to think back to how much time I spent in all of those buildings and how all of my friends and I are scattered around the country. I miss the ease of being able to hop in the car and drive wherever I want. I can venture around to any stores, friends houses or just drive around the city, which is something I can’t do in Madison.

The next thing I’m missing was sparked by an email I received. I greatly miss my parents’ Peloton bike in our garage. I love the cycling classes offered at the Nic Rec Center, but there’s something about a midnight Peloton ride that cannot be beat. I was sitting in class, typing away on my computer when an email from Peloton with the line, “Haven’t seen you in a while Beth” appeared on the right corner of my screen. That little email tagline made me miss my grungy garage where I’d spend some of my alone time cycling away with the entertaining, energetic instructors.

As mentioned, there’s a simplicity and calm feeling being at home. There are very few expectations over breaks. I spend most of my time at work, but during my free time, I have barely any stressors to worry about. There’s no homework, exams to study for or meetings to attend. I use breaks at home to rest and rejuvenate in preparation for the upcoming semester. The freedom to lay around while at home is something I greatly miss during the hectic parts of the semester and look forward to in the future.

Beth Shoop

Wisconsin '25

Hi, my name is Beth! I am from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, but I am currently a Junior at UW Madison studying Journalism, specifically Reporting and Strategic Communication! I hope you enjoy reading about my experiences, interests, and newfound knowledge!