The Men of the Big Ten: If Guys Were Big Ten Schools

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

Dating decision can sometimes be almost as important as college decisions. But, what if making one of those choices actually decides both? Keep reading to find out which kind of college man your Big Ten school is!

1. Michigan State University: The Frat Boy

Surprise — just kidding! We’re starting with the most prominent group of guys on campuses across the nation. Michigan State is one of many schools that has pledged its allegiance to making its party scene a way to spend several nights of the week. Plus, with sports as his close-second devotion, the Michigan State Frat boy will probably be playing catch on the front lawn of his frat house during an early morning Saturday tailgate.

2. University of Nebraska: The Country Boy

Situated in one of the few quaint Nebraskan towns, this college oozes a quiet charm that parallels the subtle attractiveness of a homegrown kind of guy. He has agriculture in his roots and is a family man to the core. Don’t worry if he seems a little behind on the latest trends in music or fashion — he might still sweep you off your feet with his polite and genuine disposition.

3. Indiana University: The Hottie with a Body

Listen, they may not know what their own mascot really is, and their academics are usually left out of the picture; but does that really matter when they have above-average sports teams and a beautiful campus? The same goes for the hunk you just passed on the street who gave you a small wink. You don’t even know his name yet, and it might very well turn out that he isn’t the smartest eye-candy on the block. But trust me, you will be too busy staring at his washboard abs and sparkling smile to even care.

4. University of Maryland: The Shy One

You might not notice the kid sitting in the back corner of your lecture on first glance, but that doesn’t mean he doesn’t have a lot to offer. He doesn’t have a lot of friends and pretty much stays to himself, which leaves him plenty of time to become a threat when it comes to all the latest video games. It might seem like a disadvantage at first, but being holed up on the East Coast gives Maryland the perfect opportunity to master its craft in the sports world. Remember to never count out the one that doesn’t have much to say — you might just find out he is more of a contender than you planned for.

5. University of Iowa: The Coastie

This surfer boy will make waves with a personality as calm as the landscape around the Iowa campus. He exudes a cool vibe, and everyone seems to know him — yet not everyone is his biggest fan. Just because Iowa has the Midwest charm, it doesn’t mean that its opponents are ready to face it in conversations — or on the field.

6. University of Illinois: The Run of the Mill Guy

He’s a combination of Greek and geek — he fits the mold of just your typical dude. He’s average at athletics and academics and has a relatively mundane backstory. He may not offer a ton of excitement, but whoever said stability is a bad thing?

7. University of Michigan: The Rich Kid

This boy is known for its arrogant aura, so it’s no surprise that he fits right into Michigan’s gifted academics and sports teams. Don’t be surprised to see him driving around in his Rolls-Royce convertible blasting “Jordan Belfort” in an attempt to remind everyone that he will graduate debt-free — with arrangements to work at the firm of his dad’s favorite golf buddy. Sure, I’m an independent woman who doesn’t need a man; but seeing those dollar signs roll down the main drag doesn’t exactly make the idea of a trust-fund husband too unappealing, either.

8. Rutgers University: The Freshman

When your most recent suitor is a rookie college student who stands alone on the upper East Coast, it can be easy to turn away without the slightest bit of interest. However, we can all admit that it is pretty respectable for a newbie to shoot his shot knowing that thousands of other more eligible bachelors are swimming in his same pond — or school conference. And don’t forget: he won’t be a freshman forever!

9. University of Wisconsin: The Born and Bred

This guy is obnoxious and possibly a handful. He’s probably also the fourth generation in his family to attend your college. He is always wearing his school gears to show his pride — he has literally been bleeding red since birth. The first words out of his mouth were “Go, team!” and he hasn’t looked back a day since. As long as you are prepared to have a child who will live on the legacy of being an alumnus/a and the most diehard fan of your alma mater, this could be the man of your dreams!

10. Ohio State University: The Foreigner

It is hard not to notice this guy around campus considering his sense of style (which comes primarily in gray and red) and his delicious accent. The other men at your school probably won’t consider themselves fans of this man — he can make ladies swoon just by the way he says “hello” and by the way he dominates the football field. Deep down, though, they all have to admit that someone so cultured might just be deserving of the prize — be it the lady of his eye or the Big Ten Championship title.

11. Purdue University: The Professional

Although it is well-known that most boys won’t reach true maturity until after their college years, there are always a few exceptions. These are the “pre-med” majors who are involved in every extracurricular under the sun, yet still have the occasional minute to watch a good game of basketball. Considering his unwavering focus on his prestigious degree and lofty life ambitions, it’s safe to assume that Purdue has no time or energy for a relationship … but that shouldn’t stop a girl from spending HER spare time imagining a life with this future McDreamy.

12. Pennsylvania State University: The Athlete

It’s no secret that Penn State lives by the saying “ball is life.” He’s your typical college athlete — he focuses more on his sports performance than his academics. This guy is totally dedicated to his bros and may be locked in on winning the game; but outside of practice, he doesn’t mind chatting up a few pretty girls. If you make the right moves, you might end up winning the ultimate championship – with a big ring on your finger and a new name on your jersey to announce your victory.

13. Northwestern University: The Nerd

He may not be a part of the most coveted group, he is a part of the elites. With a low acceptance rate, Northwestern’s population almost mirrors the paltry number of students you may find in a library during the biggest football game of the season. You know what they say, though: “what’s on the outside isn’t everything.” Although the choice may not be appealing upon first glance, dating a math genius — or choosing an academically focused college — will start to pay off when your calculus grade ends up being one letter grade higher than expected.

14. University of Minnesota: The Nice Guy

They say “nice guys finish last,” so Minnesota is rounding out the list. With a big heart to match his sprawling campus and a well-known reputation for his passion, he should be set up for success, right? Somehow, this guy always seems to fall just short in both his athletic life and his academic life, no matter how hard he tries. If you want to be loved and cherished every single day, though, move this guy to the top of your list.

The parallels really are uncanny when it comes to dating and college decisions. You can’t go wrong with whatever you decide, though — there are qualities that make each school and each person unique. At the end of the day, all of them want to attract people who belong to them, their Big Ten campuses and their big hearts.

Aubrynn is a small town Wisconsin girl with big city dreams. She is currently a student at the University of Wisconsin-Madison pursuing a career in the sports broadcasting industry. Some of her favorite things include smelling flowers, laughing with her friends, and the color pink. She hopes to inspire people to believe in themselves and to treat everyone they meet with kindness. You can keep up with everything happening in the life of Aubrynn on Twitter (@AubrynnVV) and Instagram (@brynnvv).