This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Wisconsin chapter.

As a long time fan of the Mamma Mia! series, often dreaming of jetting off to a remote island in Greece and having a closet filled with denim and a heart filled with adventure, I felt it was my duty to give my take on the songs of the franchise. With that being said, here’s my definitive ranking of all songs in both Mamma Mia! as well as Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again.

37. “When All is Said and Done” (Mamma Mia!)

Yes, I do have this song on my “Mamma Mia” playlist. Yes, I skip it nearly every time. How brave of Pierce Brosnan to be cast in a singing movie when he cannot carry a tune for the life of him or his third of a daughter.

36. “The Day Before You Came” (Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again)

I love Meryl Streep for coming back and recording a song for a movie she was only featured in for less than two minutes, I do, but the song itself doesn’t have the same “I’m alone and impregnated on a Greek island but it’s fine” vibes as the other songs. It’s depressing and makes me want to crawl into a hole and cry, but not in a good way.

35. “Thank You For the Music” (Mamma Mia!)

Featured on the Mamma Mia disc as an extra sprinkle of Seyfried’s vocals, this song is cute. I have no better word for it. Unfortunately, it has the disadvantage of not being associated with any on-screen performances and the disadvantage of being boring. Sorry, Sophie.

Girl Holding Vinyl Record
Breanna Coon / Her Campus

34. “Slipping Through My Fingers” (Mamma Mia!)

As I continued ranking, this song just trickled down as others topped it. You could say it slipped through my fingers (don’t laugh at that). There’s nothing wrong with it, really. I like how it notes the passage of time and commemorates Donna and Sophie’s mother-daughter bond, but there are other songs that are catchier with a similar sentiment.

33. “I Wonder” (Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again)

This rank has absolutely nothing to do with my queen, Lily James, she doesn’t deserve this. I appreciate the moment this song coincides with as Donna leaves to explore the world and “make some memories,” but the whole song feels like it’s in slow motion and I have never been inclined to voluntarily listen to this song.

32. “Knowing Me, Knowing You” (Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again)

“Knowing Me, Knowing You” moves us from Donna’s happy, in love with Sam energy to upset, I hate Sam energy, giving us this empowering break ballad. Alone, it’s a good song, not great, and there are other songs I’d choose to listen to before this one.

31. “The Name of the Game” (Mamma Mia!)

That’s right, before Lily James’s young Donna sang this in the sequel, Seyfriend was assigned the song for the Mamma Mia soundtrack. The main difference is that this one lacks context, making it difficult to connect it to the plot. Not my favorite, but it’s not bad.

Girl In Porcelain Print Skirt In Feild 5
Photo by Anna Thetard / Her Campus

30. “Fernando” (Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again)

This song is a supplement to a completely unnecessary storyline in the sequel and it makes me not like it. That being said, it is catchy while providing historical background no one asked for. The flute and the flute alone lifts this song from sinking to the bottom of the rankings. Lo siento, “Fernando.”

29. “My Love, My Life” (Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again)

The return of Donna in the sequel is accompanied by this touching tune as it connects the moment both Donna and Sophie find power in motherhood. Being an emotional ballad, it’s a slower tempo, but is still a tearjerker.

28. “SOS” (Mamma Mia!)

Pierce Brosnan really tried, he did. I can hear the effort. Luckily, the song is upheld by Meryl Streep’s vocals and strong instrumentals. Overall, it’s an upbeat sing-along type of song that would make a great karaoke duet (given that your partner is better than Sam).

27. “Kisses of Fire” (Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again)

This song is so chaotic. I love it. Sung by the disgraced son of the bar owner on Kalokairi, he lays it all out on the stage in his passionate and slightly frightening performance to a barren audience. A great performance, but the version on the soundtrack lengthens it which takes away from the original rendition.

summer sparklers fireworks bonfire
Anna Thetard / Her Campus

26. “I’ve Been Waiting For You” (Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again)

This mother-daughter song really hits me in the feels. As a response to Donna’s “Slipping Through My Fingers” in Mamma Mia, it also serves as an homage to the role Donna played in Sophie’s life and vice versa. That being said, it’s also relatively slow and I have a short attention span.

25. “I Have a Dream” (Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again)

I know what you’re thinking. What exactly makes this rendition of “I Have a Dream” ranked so much lower than the original? In my opinion, this song didn’t evolve from the first to second movie. Yes, it displays the vision young Donna had for the hotel and her dreams, but when all that differs from the first to second version is the singer, I prefer Sophie’s version.

girl lounging relax 1
Kristen Bryant / Her Campus

24. “One of Us” (Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again)

The only reason this song isn’t ranked lower is because it was blessed with a killer beat that comes in at the beginning (“killer” being relative to the greek-influenced score). Other than that, the performance in the movie is a slow start and there are other songs I’d rather be listening to from Sophie and Sky, if you know what I’m saying.

23. “Chiquitita” (Mamma Mia!)

If you ever find yourself or someone you love feeling down in the dumps, I highly recommend using this short-yet effective song to lift spirits that need mending. While I wish the song was longer, the little that we are given shows the love the characters, specifically Donna and the Dynamos, have for each other, making it a short-but-sweet song.

22.“The Name of the Game” (Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again)

Lily James was really doing something to me with this one. The song itself isn’t that exciting compared to some of the others, but I can really feel the “Donna writing in her diary and strolling through an orange orchard” vibes in James’s version.

21. “Money, Money, Money” (Mamma Mia!)

With Donna’s rich emotion and attitude, she proves that she doesn’t need “Money, Money, Money” to be a wealthy woman. Along with that, as a college student, I really resonate with the lyrics as I also would appreciate some extra coin. All in all, it’s a great sing-along song that makes me want to buy a yacht.

Cruise Ship
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon

20. “Voulez-Vous” (Mamma Mia!)

“Voulez-Vous” is like a spicy “Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!” that is a little too long and gives me anxiety. Nonetheless, it absolutely slaps and I will turn it all the way up and scream it so don’t test me.

19. “Take a Chance on Me” (Mamma Mia!)

Rosie really has a moment with this one, giving her the spotlight she rightfully deserves, but often doesn’t get. Throughout Mamma Mia, it’s Donna this and Donna that as she navigates her relationship with Sam, but now it’s Rosie’s turn to go after Bill. Her somewhat aggressive serenade is a great, literally ground-breaking performance to wrap up the first movie.

18. “Super Trouper” (Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again)

Now THIS is a movie ending dance sequence song. What I like about this song is that it doesn’t really exist in the realm of the movie, it’s like a dream or really entertaining hallucination. I love how the characters from the past and present interact in the performance of this always-uplifting song.

Molly Peach-Sunset In The Desert
Molly Peach / Her Campus

17. “I Have a Dream” (Mamma Mia!)

“I Have a Dream”, the song that started it all. Accompanied by Amanda Seyfreid’s angelic vocals, this song upholds the theme of working toward your dreams and appreciating the journey to get there. Of all of the songs in the franchise, this is the one that makes me check Google Flight prices for one-way tickets to Greece almost every time it comes on.

16. “Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!” (Mamma Mia!)

What makes this song great isn’t the vocals. Instead, it’s the guitar, the strings, the flute, and the synthesizer behind the words of the song that make it the banger that it is. Within the movie, I feel almost offended that I wasn’t invited to Sophie’s bachelorette party at her mom’s greek resort, but I get over it once the chorus comes around.

15. “Mamma Mia” (Mamma Mia!)

This song is a classic as it introduces us to the chaos that is Donna’s life after seeing all three of the potential fathers of her daughter in her barn (you know, just another day on Kalokairi). Not my favorite version of the song in the series, but a great one nonetheless.

sunset with mom and baby in background
Jude Black

14. “Super Trouper” (Mamma Mia!)

Relatively controversial, but I prefer Donna and the Dynamos original “Super Trouper” performance and song from Mamma Mia over the ending performance in the sequel. Although it has less bells and whistles than the latter, this heartfelt rendition of this upbeat track reiterates the love between Donna and her daughter, not to mention it’s beautifully simplistic choreography.

13. “Adante, Andante” (Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again)

Young Donna somehow was able to upstage the chaos of “Kisses of Fire” with this heartfelt serenade, and for that I admire her. Its simplicity leaves room for Donna’s raw emotion heard in the song and it makes me want to lightly sway and sing along.

12. “Does Your Mother Know” (Mamma Mia!)

“Does Your Mother Know” that this song is dangerously underrated, because she should! Tonya confidently assumes her rightful spot at center stage as she absolutely obliterates all potential young suitors with this power anthem. If you want to feel even a sliver as powerful as Tonya, I recommend queuing this one up.

Anna Schultz-Girl And Guy Couple Laughing With Milkshakes
Anna Schultz / Her Campus

11. “Mamma Mia” (Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again)

For once, a song featured in both of the movies has the Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again version come out on top. Performed by Donna and the Dynamos, this version has a wide emotional range and is chalk-full of bell-bottomed girl power. In the sequel, this song is a celebration of the Donna, Tonya, and Rosie’s friendship which is exemplified by their stellar choreography.

10. “Dancing Queen” (Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again)

This song really puts me in the “mood for a dance,” lemme tell ya. I do prefer Mamma Mia’s “Dancing Queen” to this one because I feel that it exists to serve as a remembrance of the original rendition. However, within the sequel, the people dancing on top of the boats as they pull in to revive the launch party because why not make me want to drop everything and bust a move.

9. “The Winner Takes It All” (Mamma Mia!)

Meryl left it ALL out there when she belted this power anthem. I’m not going to lie, I used to full-on hate this song because I viewed it as a roadblock to the wedding scene, but as I’ve grown older, I’ve realized that this song wasn’t a stop along the way; it was the destination. The ending belt of the song contrasted by the soft concluding vocals gives me chills everytime. Overalls off to you, Ms. Streep. You win. You’re the winner.

couple string lights
Allef Vinicius

8. “Dancing Queen” (Mamma Mia!)

This classic take on the ABBA song in the first movie is something to be admired. The song itself is timeless and will lift you out of any slump you find yourself in, like having three of your exes show up at your daughters wedding. Used as a vehicle of female empowerment, this version sends the message that women are “Dancing Queens” and shouldn’t let any man make us feel otherwise. Period.

7. “Our Last Summer” (Mamma Mia!)

This song gives me nostalgia for something I wasn’t a part of. Did I make my way along the river and sit down by the grass of the Eiffel Tower? No. Did I go “round the Notre Dame”? No. Do I sing this song like I did? Absolutely. This song is an all-around, acoustic piece of art.

6. “Honey Honey” (Mamma Mia!)

Although this song romanticizes rummaging through someone else’s diary, you can’t deny that it doesn’t put you in the best mood. The way Sophie and her friends galavant around the island while singing a song about her mom’s past “experiences” set to an uplifting score is inspirational. They do NOT care if anyone hears them airing out Donna’s laundry, so they might as well do it melodically.

The Lalathree Girls Sitting By A Fountain
Her Campus Media

5. “When I Kissed the Teacher” (Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again)

Good vibes all around with this opening tune. It establishes young Donna as the spunky, free-spirited individual we grow to know and love as she stages a flash mob at her college graduation, including a quick-change and feather boas, which is the most Donna thing I could imagine her doing while graduating from OXFORD. This song just makes me want to ride a bicycle and joyfully jump into water at the concluding chord.

4. “Angel Eyes” (Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again)

Admittedly, this is a controversial top pick, but Angel Eyes is a simply angelic sing-along! First of all, I love how Tonya and Rosie are there to offer Sophie advice on her love now that her mother is gone, so I really like “Angel Eyes” in the aspect that the fun aunts of the franchise have become Sophie’s guardian angels. Tonya and Rosie are my favorites and this song is exactly what they deserve for carrying the comedy of this franchise on their backs. Thank you for your service, Dynamos.

3. “Why Did it Have to Be Me?” (Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again)

Close your eyes. Smell the salty, sea breeze of the Mediterranean. Feel the sun on your skin as you are swooned and spun around by a handsome Skandinavian sailor. Although this high-spirited song is titled “Why Did it Have to Be Me,” it often makes me think “why couldn’t this be me?” There is no better song to reflect the fun, care-free relationship Donna has with Bill while they belt this bop aboard his sailboat.

Cameron Smith-Abroad Spain Europe Mountain Water Mediterranean Sea Boats Port Sunny Clouds.Pdf
Cameron Smith / Her Campus

2. “Waterloo” (Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again)

To make things clear, I am not a good dancer, but this song and it’s catchy chorus somehow convinces me that I am. “Waterloo” exudes an electric energy that travels from your ears and to your now-dancing feet. The piano in this song is priceless and I also appreciate young Harry’s rare confidence in the face of love. Featured in what is arguably the best dance sequence of the series, this song is a headbanger and you can’t convince me otherwise.

1. “Lay All Your Love on Me” (Mamma Mia!)

THIS. SONG. HITS. EVERY. TIME. In my humble opinion, “Lay All Your Love on Me” is the best song of the Mamma Mia franchise and claiming this song doesn’t make you feel some type of way is an outright LIE. If you put me on the aux, I will play this song and if you aren’t screaming the words with me like we’re surrounded by an army of dancing, flipper-wearing scuba divers, I will jetski away from you and into the sunset with my fictitious fiance. 

These songs have made me dance, cry, and sing off key all at the same time. Don’t come for me if you don’t like the order I chose for these songs, but hopefully you agree in some capacity.  

Courtney Loth

Wisconsin '23

Student at the University of Wisconsin: Madison studying Journalism and Communications.
I am a senior at the greatest university— the University of Wisconsin. I am in the School of Journalism and Mass Communication, double tracking in reporting and strategic communications and earning a certificate in and Digital Studies. I am a lover of dance, hiking, writing for Her Campus, the Badgers and strawberry acais. I am also a president of Her Campus Wisconsin.